Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What'd you make for your Valentine?

What'd you make for your Valentine?

14 years, 8 months, and 27 days...

Things have been crazy in my life the past week, as far as free time, and my wife is very understanding. But still... this morning I snuck down to the shop and got busy for a half hour, so I could give her my heart once again. So what if I'm a bit late for work!

(The heart is spalted maple, the dowel is bloodwood. In truth, that was what sas available, but I like the symbolism I see in those names.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (51.3 KB, 103 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (45.8 KB, 71 views)

When's Valentine's Day? How late is Walgreen's open? Not again!!

Seriously Art, this is a very thoughtful and great looking little gift. I wish you would have posted it earlier so I could have copied your idea ! I'm sure she will love it.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

3. Mr Pritchard,
    The day is not over yet, dont loose all hope, you can still redeem yourselfe!

I say this as a woman whose hubby foregot that today was valentines day

A greeting card...off the computer. With a piece of candy attached. Simplicity is sometimes a nice thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Pritchard
    I wish you would have posted it earlier so I could have copied your idea
    Tom, did you miss the bit where I said a "half hour" in the shop? I wasn't kidding. This really did come together very quickly:

I went to google, clicked on image search entered "heart", and found a simple line heart. Blew it up to about 3 to 3.5" tall, and printed it out.
    (actually, printed several sizes). Glued it to a piece of 3/8" thick maple from the extras pile, and took it to the bandsaw. (Darn, a scrollsaw would have made a better job of this.) Chucked a flapper/sander into the drill press and cleaned up some of the worse cutting marks, and also put a slight chamfer on the edges. More hand sanding to touch up, a bit of file work to take out a burn mark or two. Noticed the dowel sitting there, and the lightbulb went on. Chucked a 1/4" bit in the drillpress, clamped the heart in place and measured very carefully, said my prayers and drilled it in the point of the heart. (Hey, I only had a 1/16" margin of error on each side!) dollop of glue in the hole, slide in the dowel, reach for the can of BLO and wipe on a thin coat, and buff it out.

Done.

You could do it on your lunch break, and still have time for your Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. (remember to brush your teeth... )

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    A greeting card...off the computer. With a piece of candy attached. Simplicity is sometimes a nice thing.
    Oh, hey, did that too. apple.com/icards/ has great selections. In fact, I'll probably send her a few more.

Jim, get your daughters to supply the sentiments to write with it and email it to Mum and she'll get all melty inside...

My valentine is leaving Thursday for a vacation in Texas so I couldn't bring myself to buy flowers that would just rot. Instead, I headed down to a place that just opened by us, Edible Arrangements, and picked up an arrangement of strawberries dipped in chocolate. Now to get card and I'm all set.

Dave Fried

Does last year count?

I made this hand mirror for my wife last year for Valentine's Day. The plans were in Wood Magazine and was my first attempt at scroll sawn marquetry.

This year she gets flowers, wine, and a nice dinner out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Walker
    This year she gets flowers, wine, and a nice dinner out.
    Dave, you're forgetting something.

C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E

...art

I got my wife a beautiful new dress, a dozen roses, and we are going to PF Changs for dinner tonight. She's pretty happy!

I also have a cherry jewelry box in the works but it doesn't look like that will be done for a few more weeks. So many projects, so little time...

Chocolates and a card with two tickets to Rob Zombie in May.

Who said romance is dead?!?!

I asked her what she wanted for V-day. Well I spent several hours last weekend clearing berry bushes down by the creek. What a deal!!

Who said romance was dead?

I'm gonna make her dinner. She said she'd rather do that then go out so I'm gonna Grill a London Broil, baked potatoe and a Salad with a nice bottle of wine..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fancher
    Chocolates and a card with two tickets to Rob Zombie in May.

Who said romance is dead?!?!
    Nothing says "love is in the air" quite like a Rob Zombie concert.

I had the presence of mind to stop at the market and buy flowers last night on my way home from pool league (after LOML was asleep), so she had flowers and a couple of cards (that I made last night after pool) waiting for her when she got up this morning.She specifically asked me not to buy anything substantial...she'd much rather pick something out for herself, then let me know to buy it.

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Walker
    I made this hand mirror for my wife last year for Valentine's Day.
    Hey Dave, I forgot the first time... Very nice looking mirror. I would be worried though, about how narrow the connection is between the handle and the mirror. It's a year older now, what do you think? Has it ever been dropped? Does the connection feel sturdy to you -- err, to her?