Thread: Tormek questions, "Kinda long"

Tormek questions, "Kinda long"

I'm thinking about getting a "Tormek" outfit. Since I joined this forum, I've been inspired by all the beautiful objects done by the "inmates" here.
    Last week I went through my stuff. and found a couple face plates, my turning tools, and a "Bowl rest" for my Shopsmith. (I can hear the collective growns from through the net) I realize that a shopsmith is not the ideal platform for turning. but it has sentimental value, I've had it since about 1972. I've turned a couple of lamps, a bunch of table legs, and a couple of bowls. Also I'm Spatially challenged here in the "Magic Garage". so at this time, I don't have room for another lathe.
    I just picked up a Crown 3/8" Bowl gouge from Woodcraft. The edge that it came with bears no resemblance to what I've seen as a correct shape. Could I generate the proper edge on the Tormek, or do I need to shape it on a grinder first, and refine it on the Tormek?
    I did a search for "Tormek", and the only negative comments I found was relating to the cost. For sharpening, I currently have an old Baldor 10" grinder, an el cheapo Flat (platterstyle?) wet sharpener, and a 6" grinder (currently dedicated for sharpening tungsten electrodes for my Tig welder). I also have an assortment of diamond sharpeners.
    My thinking is by the time I buy a slow speed grinder, the Jigs for the various tools, and an assortment of water stones, I'm pretty well into the cost of the Tormek.
    from what I understand from my research, the tormek pretty much does away for the need for an assortment of waterstones. Am I correct in my thinking?
    I just had to send of for a new drive belt for the shopsmith. when It gets here I want to try my hand at some bowls. If I buy the Tormek and bring my tools up to snuff, what else do I need?
    Here's a couple of photos the first of the tip of the new Crown bowl gouge, the second of my "menagerie" of lathe tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Davenport; 02-14-2006 at 1:26 PM.

Jim, See the following thread.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...024#post293024
    Jeff Ferris addresses it there.
    Last edited by Dave Wimmer; 02-14-2006 at 2:48 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I wasn't born in the mountains, but I got here as fast as I could!

Thanks Dave;
    Jeff Farris is the "Tormek Guru". When I get the Tormek, I've got a lot of reading, then a lot of grinding to do

Jim, at the risk of appearing lazy, I would like to direct you to two other threads besides the one Dave linked.

See Not getting the results... and New lathe, first questions...

If those raise more questions than they answer, ask them in this thread.