Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please critique this form...

Please critique this form...

Here is a spalted pecan vase I made a while back. I had problems with it and it did not end up as tall as I wanted. I had to take some off the bottom and thus ended up with a base that is too large I think. Also, the top looks too big to me. What do you think. Honest replies only! The wood is georgeous but I am not real happy with the form. Please tear it apart!!

It measures 6 1/2" tall and is 4 1/2" in diameter.

Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Sorry Curtis.... I see nothing not to like about that one.

If you want me to whine.... you neet to post something butt ugly

I think I need a closer look. Please send it to me for further evaluation. Thanks for sharing, love spalted wood. doug

Nice work Curtis. I like the "classic" form and way the grain follows it.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Curtis, why are you not happy with this forum?? Did we do so say, Oh WAIT It's a very nice piece. I do like the form.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Curtis...I think it looks great overall and agree to some extent that it might add some gracefulness if the bottom was maybe half the diameter than what you have there. However, I think the top works very well. The wood is wonderful. It is a very pleasing piece for sure!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I think the top is fine but I have to agree with John on the base, needs to be smaller. Just my nickels worth.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

8. I like it, I dont know anything about form, but if I saw it in a store, I would buy it! I am a crocheter(we call ourselves happy hookers ) and when I see something for sale that is yarn made, I just try to copy it. Hopefully soon I will find myselfe takeing pics of wood stuff I see and duplicateing it to.

Although the base might be larger than you intended, it seems to work becaue the top and base are roughly the same size. Possibly if you turned the top just a hair smaller to match the base it would look even better. At any rate it looks great.

Happy Hookers. Hahah. I love it. I like the vase very much. Love the wood. Great job.

Curtis, I'm no high-end critic but, I think the form is fine and, of course, that wood is killer! Looks great.

Val, I'm afraid someone beat you to the nickname; Many moons ago, I remember seeing one of those real, real BIG tow trucks used for pulling other big trucks. All tricked out with custom paint, huge twin stacks and loads 'o chrome. Yeah, you guessed it: It was named, "The Happy Hooker"! Still, a "unique" name for a bunch 'o female types doing crochet!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I like it; and am reminded of an old amphora.

If anything the neck could be a skosh shorter and the base an equal measure of narrower. But I'm probably quiblling over trifles.

Nice effort.
    Only the Blue Roads

Curtis, you can find some beautiful wood when you work with pecan as you have done here. I like this form. The only thing I would change would be to make the foot smaller.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Curtis I can't add anything more than what has ben said already, I really like the form and the wood is great! If you need to find it a good home I know just the place.

Curtis, how about this for equivocation, I think that to sit on a table the foot could be smaller, however if you wanted to put some dried flowers in it the foot is what is needed for stability(form follows function). I like it and the wood makes me want to go into the woods and cut a pecan tree, but I think I've found a bodark, and maybe a pecan that will be coming down in the next few months so the forests are safe for a while.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.