Thread: Shellac--did I just screw up?

Shellac--did I just screw up?

I scraped and resanded the walnut table tonight. I ran out of the shellac I mixed from flakes, so I grabbed the Bulls Eye Shellac I had, thinned it, and sprayed it. Then I realized--is this stuff dewaxed? I'm assuming not since it isn't specifically mentioned on the can or on their web site. So what option do I have? Sand and start over again?

Sanding is one option, or put a coat of dewaxed over the current coat. If you used it straight out of the can you are putting on some heavy coatings as it is 3lb for most of the can stuff and I think 2 lb for the seal coat (which is dewaxed). To the best of my knowledge the only dewaxed is the seal coat, but I could be wrong--it wouldn't be the first time.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Ceil is correct...and application of de-waxed shellac over the waxy stuff will solve your issue. I also agree with him relative to the cut...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    Sanding is one option, or put a coat of dewaxed over the current coat. If you used it straight out of the can you are putting on some heavy coatings as it is 3lb for most of the can stuff and I think 2 lb for the seal coat (which is dewaxed). To the best of my knowledge the only dewaxed is the seal coat, but I could be wrong--it wouldn't be the first time.
    I did thin it before spraying. I have some flakes dissolving now, so I'll spray another coat over what I already did.

dewaxed shellac

I don't think it makes any difference if it dewaxed or not as long as you are not putting poly over it.

Harold

If it came from a can with any other label than SealCoat it is not dewaxed. But this is a fairly minor screw up. In fact it may stimulate an improvement. Polyurethane doesn't adhere well to shellac with way, but traditional resin varnishes stick just fine, and look better to boot. So rather than starting over just switch varnish top coats and you'll be fine.

Apply a couple of coats of dewaxed on top and you're good to go if you really need to topcoat your table with poly, or just finish the table with shellac.

Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention that I'm spraying Target USL over this, so I have to use dewaxed. But, it sounds like it is a pretty easy fix, and maybe when I get home tonight I can spray the dewaxed flakes I mixed up last night. That is if the SE Michigan Woodworkers don't keep me out to late.