Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Demonstration Of What NOT To Do!!!!!

Lets see...

I've used allen wrenches, open end wrenches, screw drivers, hack saw blades, sawzall blades, bandsaw blades, carving tools and even a kitchen knife to turn.

No reason wood chisels wouldn't work.

It seems like there are an exceptional number of old posts being uncovered and argued lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Eddard View Post
    On a full-sized lathe, it'd be crazy. On the Wilton mini, I'm with Sasha and Bill G. It's just a short-handled single bevel skew. No more dangerous than a cheap harbor freight turning chisel, and many of us here have used those and lived to tell about it.

I do agree with Bill S that it's a poor example to be showing to new turners, even if someone is in the business of getting people started turning on minimal dollars.
    I am not one to generally pick at an old scab, but.

First, Thanks. That was the point in my post!

"I do agree with Bill S that it's a poor example to be showing to new turners, even if someone is in the business of getting people started turning on minimal dollars.[/quote]

Second, ??.
    "and many of us here have used those and >*lived to tell about it."

>*But those that didn't----Can't.

I hate to admit it. I have been hit from a branch coming off a Oneway lathe(not mine), with a Sorby or Crown Pro PM gouge and Talon chuck when I tried the back hollowing after watching the video from Richard Raffan. Can I blame Oneway because two of the equipment were from them? I couldn't even learn the technique from a teaching video; I doubt anyone could have learned what should be learned from a small picture. We can't protect people for being naive.

I still not smart enough to find out what's wrong with the picture.
    In the picture, the toolrest is very close to the blank; just the tool shaft itself (not counting the handle) is more than 10 times the tip overhang. That is plenty of leverage. If we are not having the tool over hang the tool rest a lot, we don't necessarily want a long handle for doing detail work.

I am not a fan of high carbon steel turning tools; but there are plenty of turners who swear by the old carbon steel tools for their final finish cut. A steel edge is a steel edge; the only thing matters is the included angle of the blade. I can't see the edge angle from the low resolution picture.

Any power tool is potentially dangerous, what happens to the common sense of getting more usage information or some lessons?

Would I recommend this set up? A definite "NO".

Gordon