Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I was warned.

My guess is that way too much time has been devoted to the Abita Brewery Louisiana Restoration Effort, or not enough.
    Only the Blue Roads

Hmmmm...Let's see. Dave is about 3 hours from me. If I chuck up about a 20" piece, turn the Vega on full blast, I believe I can get him sucked into that vortex! Yeah, sounds like a plan!!! Dave, just save yourself the trouble and give it up. It's really pointless. Do not pass "GO", do not collect $200.00. Go directly to Amazon and order yourself a spinny thing!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dave......may I recommend a Jet Mini VS? It serves as a good learning tool for me!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-16-2006 at 10:03 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Dave......may I recommend a Jet Mini VS? It serves a good learning tool for me!
    Looks like Ken is already going to move up to a ONEWAY/VEGA/POWERMATIC machine. The vortex in him is so strong it's spitting him out the other side

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

I told Kari about this last night. Big mistake. She just rolled her eyes at me. I think I'll have to show her some pictures of the work you guys have been turning out. (Ha! Get it? I made a pun! Oh well. )

I've seen Mr G's mast turning lathe set up but if I recall he used two lathes for that. I have to get one, first.

A mini lathe sounds like a good start but I think I'm going to look for something bigger. I've got a sort of an over engineer's idea about how I can get a spar lathe out of the deal. I'll probably have to make a SketchUp drawing of it. If anyone's interested, I'll post it when it is done.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Thanks, too to Tyler for trying to protect me.

Oh and John, please be careful cranking up your spinny thing in an attempt to suck me into the vortex. If that hunk of wood is a bit unbalanced it might depart the lathe and smack me in the brain bucket. That might be hard on that piece of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    I've seen Mr G's mast turning lathe set up but if I recall he used two lathes for that. I have to get one, first.
    We didn't say it would be cheap Two lathes, twice the room needed= TWICE AS BIGGA SHOP You gotta have room for those 40' sparpostthinggys.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Glenn mentioned SketchUp so I decided I'd just whip out a little mahogany bowl. It's my first one so go easy on me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's the trouble with those "virtural" turnings.......the chips don't smell like those exotics coming off a real lathe and thus don't have the resultant effect!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    Rob! Rob! Rob!
    What are we Going to do with you?
    Andy? Travis? Keith? can you belive this Guy?
    Don't worry Jim, we'll get him straightened out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Stinson
    Don't worry Jim, we'll get him straightened out soon enough.
    Or Rounded out?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Or spun out!
    Ken

Or augered in - when he hits the bottom of the abyss.
    Only the Blue Roads

There's a bottom????

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Looks like Ken is already going to move up to a ONEWAY/VEGA/POWERMATIC machine. The vortex in him is so strong it's spitting him out the other side

Jim
    Uhh...Jim........I'm upgrading alright! My salmon bonkers don't impress real turners but my wife and a friend of hers have asked me if I could turn a spindle long enough to make a full sized replica of Bill Stevenor's itty bitty contest entry. I've just contacted the newly opened Woodcraft store in Spokane WA. They have 3 extention beds for my Jet MiniVS. It looks like I'm ordering an extention bed! So it's just a slow fall into the vortex.....Did I mention that I've made my first order from Packard to fill out my ensemble as recommended by Andy!

Dave.........relax........the only thing hurts is you credit card!

Tyler.........stare into the vortex..........relax.............it won't hurt........you can't resist............relax........you'll enjoy it..............relax.........

Tyler you really want a spinny thing!

John.......get that palomino and name it Trigger!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    ....John.......get that palomino and name it Trigger!
    I suggest Bottomless Pit - son of Vortex; out of The Abyss
    Only the Blue Roads