Thread: ideas for baby gifts?

ideas for baby gifts?

Hi,

Three of my close friends will be due starting in May, June, July (I only know of one girl, the other 2 are unknown). Besides making a baby cradle, what other presents would be great keepsakes? Memory boxes?? I also plan on making them a bunch of typical toys like wooden blocks and stuff

Thanks!!

Baby rattle? There are some different styles to make out there. I've seen some on the SMC too. I made one for my son a year or so ago. I'll try to get a pic and post it. Also try a google search.
    Keel McDonald ><>

One cool thing that I have seen is a board that you can hang vertically on the wall and use as a growth chart. You can put the baby's name, birth weight, birth date, at the top, and then the parents mark the baby's height on the board as the baby grows. Once the baby is "all grown up", you simply varnish or shellac it and have an "instant heirloom"! We marked it on a wall, and we eventually will move and have to transfer the heights to a board so our kids can have them. Just a thought.... Good luck!
    Last edited by Tom Pritchard; 02-16-2006 at 2:24 PM.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Toys, like rocking horses, blocks, rattles, mobiles as well as picture frames, other furniture...including rocking chairs for the new 'rents to comfort the child in....so many choices!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One additional thought, how about some picture frames? They make a nice addition to a new baby's room.
    Keel McDonald ><>

helen, here`s a pic of a train set i had as a child, it`s been through countless kids over the years and now my son is abusing it...oh- tops with the holder and string are quick-fun projects for kids as they get older...02 tod

MVC-186S.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Thanks!!!

thank you everyone, those are all awesome ideas that I will try to make for my friends!! These projects will keep me busy for a few months until the babies all arrive I'll post pics when I'm done with them

Something that I am supposed to do for my daughter is make a lighted Shadow bos to put her Ultra sound into. Haven't done it yet but it is on the list !!!

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Helen, another gift idea to consider is a routed sign with the family name prominent, the mother & father's names on the main signboard, and then the kid(s')'s name(s) suspended from hooks below (including, of course, the new baby's name, once you know it). Cedar or redwood (close-grained) are good woods for outdoor signs. I have also included the house number in the design sometimes.

Just something to think about . . .

Thanks Steve! That is an awesome idea. The parents to be won't tell me what they plan to name their soon to be daughter. I'll have to wait a few more weeks

Helen when my nephew and his wife had their first baby (my first grand niece) I made a rocking chair out of Cherry in just the right size for a toddler. This past Easter all my family got together and I realized I need to make 3 more....they make a great heirloom to be passed down to the next generation.

I've made several of these chairs as gifts for friends for their 1st child.
    Plans are here: http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/CSW...-Furniture.htm
    Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Ron!!! Those are absolutely adorable, saving the picture/link and definitely going to make all kids one!!!! Hopefully George and I will be their favorite uncle/auntie of all time