Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lidded Box-2nd try

Lidded Box-2nd try

Hi folks, this is my second practice try at a lidded box. Its a cut-off from a table leg on the dining room table I made some time back. Hard maple. I did better at getting the inside hollowed this time-down to a point. I drilled a 1/2"
    hole to start with and then used my 3/8 spindle gouge. It worked great to about halfway down. Had to stop. Guess it was too much gouge hanging over the rest. The only other tool I have for this is a 1/2" scraper which I did not try since I am not sure whether its the right tool or not and since I have never used one. So, since its just practice I left it and finished it as is. The lid was a good workout for me. Have a great day.
    2ndlidves2.jpg2ndlidves3.jpg2ndlidves4.jpg2ndlidves5.jpg
    Be Blessed!

Very good looking box Chris! I like the lid alot!

Great job Chris, nothing wrong with that box. Nice job.

You are right about the reach being to much for the gouge and really the scraper also.

Chris if you really want to continue with making boxes a suggestion would be to take a look at Lee Valley and in their turning section of tools is a box making tool rest. You buy the post and rest separate. That rest is the ticket to making boxes because it will reach into a box and give a scraper support all the way to the bottom. Take a look at it, it is not expensive. I use it on more then just boxes also.

Again great looking box.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Really nice box.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Chris I like the whole box. It's very nicely formed.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Great job Chris, nothing wrong with that box. Nice job.

You are right about the reach being to much for the gouge and really the scraper also.

Chris if you really want to continue with making boxes a suggestion would be to take a look at Lee Valley and in their turning section of tools is a box making tool rest. You buy the post and rest separate. That rest is the ticket to making boxes because it will reach into a box and give a scraper support all the way to the bottom. Take a look at it, it is not expensive. I use it on more then just boxes also.

Again great looking box.
    Dick, Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I'm just feeling my way as I go. No lessons or other help other than this forum and what I can find on the net. The only tools I have are a six piece starter set by sorby. No hollowing tools. Thanks again.
    Be Blessed!

Chris, that is a great looking box. I think you are past the practice stage.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Chris, that's a really lovely form...great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keep it up, Chris. They keep looking better and better. And this one would make a great martini shaker.

Hey Dick! - I just looked at that Lee Valley tool rest system. Do the individual pieces thread onto the post? And even if so, I worry about how stout it all is? What's your user related assessment?
    Only the Blue Roads

Nice Box!
    keep-em coming!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Wow Chris...That aint practice! Very handsome piece!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Ditto what John said. That don't look like a practice piece to me. Great box.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice Chris, theykeep getting better and better!

Core y

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">very nice box great job like the form . how big is it ? </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote Originally Posted by George Morris
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">very nice box great job like the form . how big is it ? </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    George,
    Thanks for the comments. The size is 5 1/4" h x 2 1/2" w. If you make one be sure to post it for us. Have a great day.
    Be Blessed!