Thread: Attaching temp fences to a Biesemeyer

Attaching temp fences to a Biesemeyer

How do you folks attach temp fences to a biesmeyer style fence? I've been using clamps but this doesn't work when the work piece is too big. I've also been hesitant to drill the fence.

Thanks
    Bob

bob, the "box" configuration of the biesmeyer makes attaching auxillary fences a breeze, build a box to slip over the fence...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Bies Sells Clamps for it's fenses. Pricy but easy to use.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

bob, you can build an 'h' like auxiliary fence with three pieces of ply, mdf or whatever and slip it on over the fence. you can make the horizontal crosspiece really TIGHT so that it serves as an extension of your biesemeyer or you could give it just a smidge of PLAY so that you can slide the entire auxiliary fence along the main one and use it like a jig for raising panels, for instance.

Either buy or get from the library a copy of Jim Tolpin's "Table Saw Magic". There are a lot of great templates in there and his system on how they all attach to the fence. Really good stuff.

I just do mine the old fashioned way and use a 12" hand screw to fasten sacrificial fences to mine.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

thanks guys, I'll give one of these a shot, either an h or a box, which are really the same animal.
    Jim, that's the way I've been doing it, I just ran into a case where the screw gets in the way.

Another option is to setup two bolt studs (you'll have to figure best way for this) that stick up on the top of the fence. You can then create an "L" shaped piece that extends the side and is bolted down to the main fence. The nice thing about this configuration is your scale still reads correctly. Full detail for this can be found in Jim Tolpin's Table Saw magic. (great book btw)

Blog Entries

Here's Mine!

I made a cover for my Beismeyer fence to adapt my magnetic feather boards. http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/fence.html
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use Jim Tolpin's system as illustrated in his book, Tablesaw Magic. Requires drilling and tapping the top of the fence, but is oh, so universally useful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I use Jim Tolpin's system as illustrated in his book, Tablesaw Magic. Requires drilling and tapping the top of the fence, but is oh, so universally useful.
    Instead of drill and tap, I used toilet flange bolts nuts. Any method that gives you a bolt stud to attach to works.

I cut a piece just wide enough to in in the top of the fence, and as long the fence. I laid a piece of T-track in a groove in the center and drilled holes into the top of the fence and used self tapping screws to hold it in place. This wasn't my idea, I copied it from a guy over on WoodNet
    http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Bob, A couple of guys have said use a box aux fence and that is what I use. I like it because you do not have to screw or unscrew anything -- just slip it over the Biesemeyer and you are done. Then just slip it off when you are through. You could also add to it by adding additional pieces with wood screws.

Here are a few pictures of mine. The first one is with the aux box fence standing up next to the Biesemeyer. The second is with the short side of the aux fence toward the blade. The third one shows that if you need a taller fence just turn it around, slip it on, and like magic you have it.

Click on the images to enlarge them.

Allen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Shaber
    Instead of drill and tap, I used toilet flange bolts nuts. Any method that gives you a bolt stud to attach to works.
    So you have studs sticking up from the fence when you don't have any attachments fixed to the fence? I think that is what you are saying...'just curious.

I use two large plastic knobs with integral threaded studs (1/4"x20) that mate with the two tapped holes in the top of the fence. Easy to tighten and remove. The same knobs are used for all the attachments I've made.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Has anyone ever thought of using rivet nuts (nutserts) pressed into the top of the fence? There are different types of rivenuts available but I haven't really looked into it at length. I'm sure one can match up the studded knob thread pitch with the rivet nut thread pitch. HF does sell the installation tool for their rivet nuts, but I'm not sure if it is only for aluminum rivet nuts. I would think that steel nutserts would be the best choice for strength.

Just a thought,
    Ed