Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making It All Worth It

Making It All Worth It

Some of you may have seen various posts from me over the past few months regarding some quilt pattern cutting boards I've made. You may or may not recall, but I made one, it failed due to thinness and grain orientation, so I made two more, but thicker and with the grain oriented consistently. The first of the thicker quilt boards was given as a replacement for the one that failed. The second thick board went to a friend of my sister's -- a friend who's got at least as much money tied up in quilting machinery as I do in WW tools. My sis gave her friend the board for her birthday on the 14th.

I've gotten advice from the SMC gang along the way, so I thought I'd share the end result. Here's Donna, the quilter friend:

Donna3 Cropped 600.jpg

My sis said Donna couldn't stop feeling the board. (I finished it with General Salad Bowl finish, polished down to 1500 grit.) Baby's behind soft, it is.

Donna2 Cropped 600.jpg

And here's a shot of the finished board itself...11" square x 1" thick, all end grain, made of maple, walnut, cherry, padauk and purple heart.

Donna's Board 1 - 600.jpg

One of these days (er...nights) when I have the time and energy, I intend to do a write-up on the making of these boards. I have several more quilt boards in the queue, so I intend to refine the process a bit more.

- Vaughn

P.S. I would have put this in the Quilting Forum, had I been able to find it. Although this post is woodworking-related, there are also references to actual people I know and girly things like quilts, so I didn't want to risk putting a thread in the General forum.

- V

That's an awfullly pretty board...better than the last one I remember seeing. She'll prolly be chopping onions on it tomorrow. NOT!

KC

Really nice board Vaughn. And the recipient seems to be liking it also. That's a good thing.

I for one would be very interested in a tutorial on making those type of boards. I am always ready to learn new stuff.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

4. Vaughn hits another home-run!

VERY nice, I'll be looking for the tutorial as well, my Mom is a quilter, and she'd LOVE one.

Looks like you made your sister's friend very happy, yep, I'd say it is worth it!

Cheers!

Wow Vaughn, great job and someone is very happy.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Making It All Worth It

Vaughn,

Beautiful work. I'm always surprised to see how many times quilt
    related items pop up on the forum, I guess a lot of our wives are quilters.
    If you wanted to make more & sell some of those you might try posting an ad here:

http://www.quiltersreview.com/classified/buy_ad.asp

I've used it and got some really nice jobs cutting acrylic templates
    for quilters. Maybe even show one to the owner of a local quilting shop and see if they'd sell them on consignment. My wife is in a quilt guild
    with monthly meetings and those ladies (and a couple of men) just love
    to buy anything quilt related.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

looking good vaughn...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Vaughn,

Being one who considers it good day when I can cut two pieces of wood and actually have them fit together, I am in awe of those boards and how tight they are. Great job!! Looks like she loves it.

Dave Fried

Vaughan,

Real nice work, when you get ready for that tutorial mark another interested student down. My wife also quilts and she'd love one.

The smile says it all!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Vaughn,

Fine work for sure. The fit on those angles is perfect. Be sure I'll be waiting on that tutorial.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Talk about ATTENTION to DETAIL..!!!! Beautiful, Vaughn. Like Jim said, The Smile Says It ALL. (If'n ya keep this up, yer likely ta git GOOD at it.)
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Vaughn,

Very nice. I love it...you have a lot of patience!

Vauhn, I always love to see your boards. Great.

Richard

Vaughn

That is some fantastic work -- there are a lot of parallels between woodworking and quilting, my Mom is a quilter and she is always telling me that the sign of a good traditional quilt is that all the intersections are "straight and square".

Just think, at least when we work, the material doesn't move as we work it

Thanks for the post,

Jay