Thread: My new Delta dust collector arrived.

My new Delta dust collector arrived.

After some trouble getting the UPS guy to wait a full 10 seconds for LOML to answer the door before leaving an 'attempted delivery' note on the door, my new DC has arrived.

Its a mess.

I had read some Amazon reviews which suggested this might happen. But I was really hoping I would be one of the lucky ones.

Well, I called Amazon last night and told them about it. I said that it would probably work just fine, but that I wasn't satisfied. The woman was quite friendly and helpful, offering me a 20% refund. Since I paid $249, on sale, that actually put my expense at $192 for this DC. (Delta 50-760) Not bad for selling normally for $289 (Amazon's normal price) - $325 (local dealer). Seems like a fair and acceptable compromise to me. All the parts apper to be there, although I'll find out this weekend when I put it together.

So, I'm generally satisfied. I was really happy that the process was so easy to resolve and didn't require a great deal of footwork on my part.

We'll see how she runs tonight or tomorrow.
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

Don't you hate it when something like that happens. Make sure that the impeller is clear of any dents. I spin that puppey over by hand before appplying power to it.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Don't you hate it when something like that happens. Make sure that the impeller is clear of any dents. I spin that puppey over by hand before appplying power to it.

Good luck.
    That's a very good point. I'll do that. Thanks!
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

Sorry about your bad expierience T.J. Personally I wouldn't have accepted it, even with the savings. I wouldn't have wanted a brand new piece of equiptment to be all dented and dinged, but that's just me. As long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    Sorry about your bad expierience T.J. Personally I wouldn't have accepted it, even with the savings. I wouldn't have wanted a brand new piece of equiptment to be all dented and dinged, but that's just me. As long as you are happy that is all that matters.
    Hi, Steve.
    I hear you. And, normally I would be the same way. I would never accept, say, a cabinet saw in this condition. But in this case, I'm ok with it.
    I'll post again when I have it together and I'll give everyone the results.
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by T.J. Mahaffey
    Hi, Steve.
    I hear you. And, normally I would be the same way. I would never accept, say, a cabinet saw in this condition. But in this case, I'm ok with it.
    I'll post again when I have it together and I'll give everyone the results.
    Sorry TJ,
    Just a reminder a DC is a vital part of the shop safety system. It must to be working correctly.
    Amazon Just sent me the base of My DJ20 . They have fallen off my tool reseller list.
    TJH
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

It's not amazon's fault, it's delta's fault. Their packing engineers are morons. Their mortisers show up in the same condition. I'm sure if TJ had insisted on a full refund they would have done it. My friend had a mortiser show up in so many pieces he couldn't even repack it properly. Amazon overnighted him a new one with return shipping paid for. Amazon usually makes good on stuff, but delta couldn't pack an anvil properly to keep it from harm.

TJ, **EVEN IF**.......the impeller is clear of the housing and Rotates Freely....I'll just bet that you will NOT get the full performance from that blower, UNTIL you hammer/smooth those dents out from the inside, because there is not going to be a smooth airflow path, and any "Burbling" will most likely reduce it's performance, (how much.......I don't know), but I'd sure try to smooth that inside surface out if at all possible.

Sorry for the mishap, and Good Luck with it.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

T.J., I had a similar experience a few years ago. I ordered a PC 7518 router from Amazon but because it was a birthdat gift my LOML wouldn't let me open it till then which was about 6 weeks later. The box had no outward apperance that anything might have been damaged, but to my surprise(not the birthday kind) the base was broke. Had a big crack in it. Amazon sent out a UPS pickup slip and I had a new one in a week. I like service like that.

Mike

Well, there's good news on the DC front.

I put my new DC together last night and, well, it sucks!
    Surprisingly all the parts were there, despite the box's condition when it arrived. Oh, man, that metal clasp band they include to hold the bottom bag on... what a nightmare to get on. In the end, I just used the interior felt-covered hoop instead. (Optional) MUCH easier. I did add the band after that, but it was either too small using one latch or too big using the next biggest notch. Weird.

Anyway, now I just need to make a home for it against the wall and get some duct work.
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

Great news on the DC. It is a real pain that you had to have the additional angst, but for the 20% reduction, I guess it worked out in the end - at least that's what I've told myself in these situations.

Seriously, I'm glad it's up and working for you.

Wes

I saw where FWW rated this dust collector as a best buy, and recomended!
    Scott