Thread: Lumber rack pics wanted!

Lumber rack pics wanted!

Dear All,

I have to build a large lumber rack for the basement, anyone have a pics they would like to share?

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

These racks are discarded pallet racks in my shop. Kinda messy right now, but they work for me. Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Here are some pics

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisan
    Dear All,

I have to build a large lumber rack for the basement, anyone have a pics they would like to share?
    David.
    This is not my lumber rack but some pics from my archives of one that I want to build when I get the time. I scavengered these pics from Badger Pond way back when.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I choose to go with something that was adjustable. This isn't a very good pic and I have added longer shelf brackets and more standards (I think their called) since this pic. I got these heavy duty brackets from HD, mounted them on every stud. You can get them several lengths, so it is real flexible. They also don't take up too much room, so I can maximize my space. I store my full sheet goods in the garage. I have other storage used for cut offs.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

check my shop pictures at
    http://community.webshots.com/user/98mike
    Mike

Here's a picture of my lumber rack...

I started with 2x4s mounted to the wall horizontally. They are lag bolted into the wall studs.

The uprights consist of 2 - 2x4s attached together. I cut dados in the boards to form a mortise where the faces of the two boards meet when screwed together. The cantilever supports are 2x4s which slide into the mortises. They receive further strength from brackets cut from MDO plywood. The supports are then held in the mortises with carriage bolts.

The uprights rest on the concrete floor and need to extend all the way to the ceiling to distribute the load across the entire wall. Ideally, they should be attached to the ceiling joists or rafters as well. If you only go half-way up or down, for instance, the weight of the load could cause the wall to fail. These are attached to the horizontal 2x4s with metal brackets and screws.

Here's a view from the side... As you can see, I have this thing loaded down pretty well. Also note that the horizontal 2x4s are positioned so that they sit behind where the plywood bracket push in against the wall.

I like the cantilever design because I can load and unload it from the front rather than sliding the boards from the end. This design also allows me to place shorter boards on the rack because I won't have trouble reaching them as I would from an end-loaded rack. If you don't need to store this much, just leave off the lower supports but DO extend the verticals from floor to ceiling if you are going to load the upper portion down as I have. Then you could roll mobile tools, clamp racks, compressor or other things on the floor beneath the lumber.

-Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Post; 07-30-2003 at 10:02 PM.
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

In essence, I have two lumber racks...one, incorporated as part of my miter station and the other, larger one, at the opposite side of the shop. The latter one also incorporates storage for sheet goods. The picture of it below (empty rack) is from before I did the shop expansion...it's now "reversed" and on another wall, but you can see the general idea. The thumbnail of the panoramic view of the shop from the north end shows you where it is now on the far right. I have a LOT of lumber on that rack at present and it's not even breathing heavy...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Ken,

I have a book from Time Life Books - Woodsmith with plans for that wood rack plus other projects. I built the same rack myself. If you would like to borrow it, let me know.

James

"Here's Mine"
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

Nothing fancy but,

here is my solution for a 20x20 shop. With space being very limited, my storage is also limited. In fact, I have storage in my garage to augment the shop storage. That's where I keep my rough sawn wood. BTW, this pic is about 5 years old. I still use this system but believe me when I say it (the shop) isn't clean anymore and I have lost about 35 lbs!
    Last edited by Byron Trantham; 08-03-2003 at 8:49 AM.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Here is mine. Made from 3/4" black pipe, 2x4's, and foam pipe insulation.

I drilled holes every 12" into the 2" side of the 2x4's angled up slightly, then mounted them on the wall. This part of my garage is pole barn construction, mounting was relatively easy. I just slipped the top behind the top beam and rested the bottom on the bottom beam. Scraps of 2x blocking were used to keep everythign in place. I then slid 18" pieces of black pipe into each hole and cut foam insulation to cover each pipe. The rack is very solid and had 300 bdft+ of oak on it at first.