77 44.77%
  • I use Slotted (straight) screws almost exclusively

3 1.74%
  • Just fetch me a bigger hammer

4 2.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: who uses slotted screws...

who uses slotted screws...

I was just browsing the current (March/April 2006) issue of Fine Woodworking, specifically Crhis Becksvoort's article on "Keeping Tabletops Flat".

As I looked through the photos I was very surprised to see him using slotted screws. I checked closer and see three pictures where he is driving a slotted screw.

Being thoroughly Canadian, I use Robertson (square) screws almost exclusively. I will on occasion use a Phillips screw, but only rarely (eg: Drywall screws are all Phillips, for some reason). But I will NOT willingly use a slotted screw.

I have heard a few people claim that a "well-matched" slotted screw will grip the screwdriver well, but in my experience that has not proved the case. I've slipped, gouging myself or the workpiece, or just dropping the screw, far FAR too many times.

So, I'm curious, do you use slotted screws? Why or Why not.

And please, pardon my Canadian ignorance, but have Robertson screws still not really penetrated the US market?

Most of what I've been using lately is actually the Square/X. So I kind of fall between two of the possibilities. But I see it as more of a Phillips than a Robertson. Jim.
    ps: the only time I use slotted is to remove them and throw them away!
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Art, in a similar poll on Saw Mill Creek about a year ago, Robertson screws won hands down.

I lived in the USA (Seattle area) from 1997 to 2003, and you could purchase Robertson screws, but they were not as common as they are here and they tended to be more expensive than Philips.

Added Later: Here is the link the the referenced thread that I neglected to place into my original commnet: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16848
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 02-20-2006 at 9:18 AM.

This is one of the very few times folks could refer to me as "square"... The only time I'd use a slotted screw is if it were required for some kind of period work where the fastener may be visible and appropriate in that format.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When the project calls for a slotted screw to match the existing hardware, I use them. I don't care for them either, must not have the right assortment of flat blade screwdrivers since I never get the right fit.

I use slotted screws almost all the time. There is something that's added to the piece when you open the lid of a box, or a door and look at all of the slots perfectly aligned. That makes a difference. It's always the little things.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Thoroughly Canadian Here

Robbies all the way.
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

I use Robertson's for furniture carcass work and phillips for home repair because the next owner probably won't have a square drive. However, for nice fittings I do like straight screws, but you need to have good screw drivers that fit the slot. It takes a little doing to find good screw drivers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    I use Robertson's for furniture carcass work and phillips for home repair because the next owner probably won't have a square drive. However, for nice fittings I do like straight screws, but you need to have good screw drivers that fit the slot. It takes a little doing to find good screw drivers these days.
    I agree somewhat with Steven. I *will* use slotted screws for small hinges and such, but as a gunsmith, I have screw driver bits to fit them well. I use square drive when I can.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo
    I use slotted screws almost all the time. There is something that's added to the piece when you open the lid of a box, or a door and look at all of the slots perfectly aligned. That makes a difference. It's always the little things.
    Same here. If I'm doing a "home improvement"-type project, I'll use square drive if available, or philips. But if it's a piece that has aspirations of "fine furniture", and it's visible (e.g., holding hardware), it almost always has to be slotted. Using anything else in situations like that just seems out of place. And yes, I save the "good" screwdrivers with the hardened tips just for these.

Square Drive whenever possible
    Phillips when no squares are available
    slotted only when I'm out of nails and It's all my neighbor has left !
    Tony

I couldn't respond because there wasn't a choice for me. I use all three types of screws as well as some funny little security screws with slightly oval heads.

For applications where I use silicon bronze screws, I use slotted screws. For general applications I use either Phillips or Robertson.

Like others,I use slotted screws(brass) when the project design requires it.

I think the biggest drawback to slotted screws, is that they are made so cheaply, especially brass.
    For folks that like to use brass slotted screws for period pieces. The "Lawson" line of brass screws are very good. They are also not really shiny, but more of a flat brass color in appearance.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    What's a slotted screw
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo
    Steve, I agree that the little details add up. But you've just described using these screws in visible locations. What about in hidden locations?

And your comments reminded me... I *do* use slotted screws on the trim pieces for light and plug covers. And yes, I do try to line them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Most of what I've been using lately is actually the Square/X. ... But I see it as more of a Phillips than a Robertson.
    Sorry, forgot about those. They're not that common around here, except in certain things (ie: Door hinges usually come with those). I, of course, would see those as a Robertson, and use a Robertson tip to drive them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    in a similar poll on Saw Mill Creek about a year ago, Robertson screws won hands down
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    I couldn't respond because there wasn't a choice for me. I use all three types of screws as well as some funny little security screws with slightly oval heads.
    Well, Dave, I would have thought that they fourth item on my poll would have made clear that this was intended as a lighthearted question. Sorry, Frank, I wasn't here a year ago! I did actually think about having more questions to be more accurate, but decided that would be too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wilson
    I use Robertson's for furniture carcass work and phillips for home repair because the next owner probably won't have a square drive.
    But for the cost of about five bucks you could leave a set of screwdrivers in the drawer for the next homeowner and just use the fasteners you like best.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Too bad Chris Becksvoort doesn't read this, as I'm really curious to know why he uses slotted screws in a hidden location. Historical accuracy? Doesn't seem likely.

...art