Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I GOT Curlys and I don't mean fries!

I GOT Curlys and I don't mean fries!

I was all set to mount the bed extension on my Mini and try some turning when...the phone rang! Down x-ray machine in Clarkston WA. A couple of hours later and a stuck relay later, I got back home...ate lunch...took a nap....watched some Olympics and into the shop.

I mounted the bed extension and placed the last of my 2x2 from the 1990 and began my spindle exercises......lalalalalalalalal........shift keys....lalalalalalalalalala........one higher .....lalalalalalalalalala....Finished with the 1990's 2x2 .............I cut and chucked up a piece of that maple limb I snagged on the way to work last week..................WOW!.

First it was the largest and heaviest thing I'd spun up yet. Lesson 1.....turn down the speed on the lathe before spinning it up..........I already had it in the lowest range so it wasnt like it was going too fast but still...........whew....got my attention! And even though I used my newly acquired center finder....wow more weight out of balance has a impressive effect when you spin it up! This was the 1st piece of wet wood I'd turned. Boy is that easier than shop dried decade old fir 2x2! I actually got curlies...not sawdust....curlies......cute little rascals! Curlies.....Carole you were right! Wet wood = fun turning! This piece was also the largest diameter stuff I'd turned. I used a roughing gouge to get down below the bark and then began making a spindle. When I got done......no sanding .....I showed it to SWMBO...........her reaction............Smiling......it's spindle table time.....she wants a full sized replica of Bill Stevener's itty bitty contest entry and she wants one for her shoppping teacher and buddy neighbor!....I've got to get that shop finished so I can set up tools, lathe and benches and begin making furniture.....some round...some flat......but I'm sure I'll need a lot of round practice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It's all sooo beautiful!!! Who cares what comes out, it just feels, sounds and looks so fun!!! I know just how you feel Ken.
    Keep On Twirlin' & Turnin' !

Sounds like a lot of fun Ken. The curls coming off a gouge are a lot of fun. Especially when you're doing a demo and start shooting them in arcs over to the plexiglass shield you have up in front of the lathe to protect the onlookers. I've had some fun with kids looking on and wet maple.

You can cover a floor in no time with shaving like that! Let's see some pictures of those practice pieces. Without pictures, it didn't happen!
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

So Ken. So do you remember what it looked like when you were still up here?

Abyss.jpg
    Only the Blue Roads

LOL. Andy that is a good one. Ken that is great. Curleys are good. Green wood is definately easier than dry. Wait till you get your grinder Ken and you have your tools sharpened. It will be more fun yet.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Okay folks...........don't laugh! When I was turning this wet stuff I noticed suddenly an increase in vibration when ever I put the blade of the gouge to the wood. I stopped the lathe and noticed that the piece was splitting out near the drive center. So.........I quickly spun it back up and tried to cut it free...........Got one end cut free..........the other end I'd have to saw off......So here it is ........with dull tools........my first wet maple spindle try from an approximately 8" oval wet maple limb.......Note it's just roughed out....not completed not sanded but it impressed my wife.....I think I'll be buying some serious wood shortly.....

Does it count now Raymond?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well that's gotta be the purtiest double-ended salmon bonker I ever laid eyes on.

Any day now - Grinder

All together now - Grinder

Everybody ----------- G r i n d e r

I can't hear you ---------------- G r i n d e r
    Only the Blue Roads

Ken, don't buy serious wood, get it out of the firewood pile. Although I'll admit I had to run out and get Paduk, and Black Limba blanks as soon as I could find them and thought I could get something reasonable out of them.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Way to go Ken! Hey...why don't you just go Elk hunting with a chainsaw? You won't need to ever buy wood!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Ken,

Your wife liked it because it fit well in her hand and she doesn't want to have to wash the rolling pin after bonking you on the head with it. She sees an opportunity! Stay alert!

Looks good to me. I see table legs in your future with a side of salad bowls, a weed pot, some candlesticks, and a vase or two. Have fun.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Very nice Ken. Clean up is a bigger issue with a lathe aint it. Very nice spindle indeed. How long is your lathe with the addition of the lathe bed extension?
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

So Ken, the BIG question: Are we havng FUN, yet???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Hehe...you're off and running Ken! Thanks for the smile this morning.

Hey!! Carole's back! I've missed you!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Yes, Carole we all noticed you were gone! Welcome back.

Ken, way to go. A couple more days and you'll be ahead of me! Wait a minute!?$#%

I've only turned one green branch from the backyard but it was a hoot. Mounted it and wondered if you could turn it with the bark on. When the bark went flying in one big piece I was hooping and hollaring. Got them big old curlies flying, too. What fun!

I do think Andy needs to a shower curtain to his list

Dave Fried