Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailey in USA

Bailey in USA

Quick question. When did Stanley stop making planes in the US? I just picked up a lightly used #5 and using the plane dating flowchart, found it to be the latest model: from late 40s to early 60s. I'm just trying to narrow the date a bit further. It is pretty clean with just a light blush of surface rust and no pitting, 95% of the japanning left (which leads to think it may be in the newer age range). The tote and knob are pretty nicely shaped and seem much more refined than some of the other newer Stanley's I've held (which insead leads me to think it may be older). So, long post short: when did Stanley quit making their planes in the USA?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by David Stonner; 02-22-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Welcome to the Creek David. Can't help too much with your question, but I sure like the title.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

That Really Depends on the Plane

According to John Walter's book, the #5 was made between 1869 and 1984. Others ended in the 20s, 30s, 40s, etc, depending on the model.

Hope that helps.

If you can post a photo or 2, maybe we can help narrow its age down.

GR

thanks,

i took a few photos last night. i'll post them by noon. appreciate the quick response. and thanks for the welcome.

dave

Welcome David!!

6. Quote Originally Posted by David Stonner
    ...So, long post short: when did Stanley quit making their planes in the USA? Thanks, Dave
    Welcome Dave,

No idea when Stanley switched manufacturing to offshore. I don't even know if they did.

I have found sending them an email to often being a way to find out information. The person in the past to contact was Lori Goucher. I'll send her email address via a PM.

Take care, Mike

Welcome David,

I do believe Stanley switched to the "blue paint" around the late 50's into the 1960's... it is a post-wwII color for sure.

pics of #5

The reason I was asking when they quit making them in the US is I have a new model #4 that says "Made in England". A piece of crap out of the box, but I have tuned it fairly well. Here are few photos I took last night. It has steel knob and tote bolts (opposed to the brass ones on my new stanley), well shaped tote, good japanning and only light rust. Using the plane dating chart, I am figuring it is a model 19 (1948-1961). There is no plating on the lever cap (like my new stanley), but there seems to be a plating (like an anti-rust) on the chip breaker and the piece that straddles the frog fore-aft adjustment screw. Hope I am making sense and describing things adequately. There's not really any reason I need to date it more precisely, I just want to. I am also posting a few pics of two Disston saws I picked up at the same time. One is a rip and one is a crosscut. I picked them both up for a buck a piece and paid $25 for the #5, all from a junk shop in town. The handles on the saws seem well shaped and well used, but are cracked and have absolutely no finish on them whatsoever anymore. The saws are in good shape other than the handles (which are usable, just not pretty) and the steel looks good. Any ballpark dating on the saws? Thanks for looking and responding.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

disstons

Here are the photos of the two Disstons.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome David, Dating the saws requires a good bit of work on your part. Get out the mineral spirits and a single edge razor blade and remove as much of the rust as you can that way. The next step is mineral spirits and some 320 to 400 grit sandpaper to remove the balance of the rust. Make sure you rinse with more MS as needed. This should enable you to at least partially see the etch in the middle of the blade. With the model number on the etch and a good look at the style and markings on the saw nuts, you shold be able to take the handle shape and correlate it with the information available at The Disstonian Institute website. Sorry, I don't have the link available right now.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave,

Thanks for the info on the Disstonian Institute. I'll look up that info after I hit the blades with a razor. I appreciate your help.

Dave

12. Quote Originally Posted by David Stonner
    <snip>
    Using the plane dating chart, I am figuring it is a model 19 (1948-1961).
    Dave
    Having looked at your photos, I think it's likely a Type 19 too. It'll be hard to narrow the date (1948-61) down much further.

Regards.

GR</snip>

Welcome David!

I can't help at all with your dating issue but i must complement you on the photography. Good side light and use of shadows along with nice DOF. Refreshing to see.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Dave is a professional photographer and a REALLY good woodworker. He makes nicer sawdust than I make furniture.

Thanks very much for the kind words about the photos. The powers of bounce flash and Photoshop. I'll post in a few days when I'm done with the plane cleanup.

thanks,
    Dave