Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a new cordless drill... Suggestions anyone ?

I need a new cordless drill... Suggestions anyone ?

Sadly it looks like I've got to retire my trusty old DeWalt 18V cordless drill. This thing has been a workhorse and never let me down. I use it CONSTANTLY. But today I was up on a ladder installing some wall cabinets and I was driving the top face frame screw and lost my grip and dropped the drill. On the way down it hit the tool shelf of the ladder and knocked the trigger off. It hit the floor and bounced. I picked it up and found the trigger that came off. The drill still works but I can't get the trigger back on so I have to use it with just the plunger from the switch. This thing is about four years old and the batteries are getting tired so I might as well not bother to try and fix it and just retire it. Lately though I've been using the 18V XR+ battery out of my DeWalt rotary laser because of the condition of the original two batteries. I'll say one thing, that thing KICKS BUTT. It just seems to run FOREVER on a charge. I'm considering the DeWalt 18V XRP 1/2" Heavy Duty cordless. It's rated at 500 inch pounds. That thing looks like a workhorse too. I don't relish the thought of dropping $269 on a new drill right now but I've gotta have a cordless drill and my old standard 18V has proven itself worthy. Anyone out there own the 1/2" 18V XRP model ? If so, how do you like it ?

Looks like I've gotta go shopping tomorrow.

Thanks for any input.

John

John, Toolking sells "bare tools" just the drill it self, check this out http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7551t.....

I would go with a 14.4V impact driver. It's lighter, smaller and has a huge amount of torque. I have the Bosch and I love it. I don't use my regular DeWalt cordless drills anymore.

chris
    chris

Thanks guys,
    I just talked to a buddy of mine who is also a "tool hound". He told me that a couple of months ago he bought a Ridgid 12V drill and 12V right angle impact driver combo. He said that they are very nice ! The more I think about it, I probably don't need all of that torque for an general purpose every day drill. It would be nice to have a little lighter one. Also, I bet that 1/4" right angle impact would be perfect for hanging cabinets. I don't know how many times I've run into clearance problems with my DeWalt trying to drive a cabinet mounting screw. (At least TWICE today alone )

Thanks for the input.

John

I have the Dewalt 18v XRP w/the hammer drill option. I've had it for a good year and its a great drill. I've beat it up alot and it still puts 3" screws through 1/2" cement board into joists with ease. I also have a 11 year old 18volt Ryobi that I just got new batteries for and it does a good job just it lacks all of the torque that the Dewalt has.

I would look at the tasks that you want and see if you really need the extra torque, I use it when I drill with the hole saws, but if you are just screwing up cabinets then I would look at a 14v drill that has some decent torque as it will get you into tighter spaces and also saves a few pounds so its easier to handle.

If you are just doing installs you might want to look for a 12v drill, they are small and if you get one with enough power you should have no probs.
    Last edited by Brian Parker; 02-20-2006 at 10:17 PM.

Makita LXT BDF451

I'd stick with the Dw...I have owned the Makita (chuck teeth were hard tocenter bits fast), Milwaukee (only lasted 1 year), PC (only lasted 1 year), Ryobi & Craftsman (cause I was on a budget...both stunk) and none have even come close to the power and longevity of the DW.

What are you going to do with your drill?

It really comes down to what you are going to do with the drill. If its primary job is drilling holes and ocassionally sinking screws then I would look at the DW drills, either the hammer drill or the straight heavy duty drill. On the other hand if you normally drive a lot of screws then the new impact drivers are the berries. Just depends on what you do.

Steve

You're right Stephen.

Actually it comes down to the fact that I use the drill to drive screws almost as much as I do to drill holes. I do like the idea of a little bit lighter drill for most purposes and don't need a bit heavy drill for everyday use. I think I'm going to probably end up with a 14.4 V drill and a small impact driver for driving screws. That seems like it'll work best for me right now.

John

I contracted satellite and cable jobs for several years. I literally installed thousands of dishes, and I went through several drills. A typical installation would have me driving lag bolts, drilling through exterior facades (brick, siding, block), and running install bits through top plates and caps. After four or five jobs a day, the drills got a pretty good workout. I went through several drills. The one thing I know is the more expensive ones lasted longer.

The drills I had the best luck with were always DeWalt. My first one was a 12v hammer and my last one was an 18v hammer. The only problem I ever had (other than I just wore them out) was a spring break in the dw988 gear box.

I tried a PC 14.4. It lasted only a couple of months. The batts were shot, the motor lost its smoke, but the brushes were still good.

A Milwaukee that I found on sale at ACE lasted less than a month. I got to return that turd with the receipt.

I now have a Bosch Brute 18v and a Ridgid 12v.... but I no longer install. My new drill haven't been through the type of abuse the above drills, and the ones I didn't even mention, have been through. It seems like it is every bit as worthy as the as my old DeWalts were, but I can't be sure.

I made my living with a cordless drill as my MOST important tool, by far. I couldn't install a job without them, and I didn't have enough sense to have two. If bringing home dinner was on the line, I'd get the DeWalt.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pollman
    Anyone out there own the 1/2" 18V XRP model ? If so, how do you like it ?
    I do, and yes it does kick butt! The newer XRP batteries do last a very long time. I bought the 1/2" last fall in a combo kit.
    I also have a DeWalt 12V drill that I've have for over 12 years, It has seen alot of abuse, and 3 pairs of batteries. The last set I bought were the XRP's and it made a huge difference in that drill.

Cordless drill

John: I just bought a cordless drill after searching for some time. I'm a diehard PC, DeWalt tool owner and expected that my search would yield a model of one of those brands. However, after a lot of searching I found that Panasonic - yes Panasonic - got the best reviews, especially by tradesman. Sooooo, I got mine and have been very pleased with it. They sell a variety of models and I got a 14.4V model that has lived up to its billing. Amazontools sells them. Comes with a case, extra battery and charger. Of course is price is no object then you have a lot more options.

I believe the impact driver is the best of all worlds. They are very small, very light and you'll be able to drive into concrete with the torque, or gently in into lumber. There is a lot of control. Plus, if you in need of a lot of torque, it doesn't twist in your hand.

I would suggest trying one out, you won't turn back.

chris

PS: If you haven't noticed, I love my Bosch Impact Driver.
    chris

John,

I have had very good luck with Milwaukee Cordless Drills. They do what they are supposed to do year after year without any problems.

Hope this helps,

Lloyd

I would not recommend Rigid. I bought new 18v kit of theirs with the cooling fans. The batteries went dead almost immediately after about 3 weeks of use. I would fully charge them and they would last about 10 minutes if that. You would not believe what I had to go through with Home Depot and Rigid to get them returned.

I have used Porter Cable (OK, wouldn't buy again), and all the others. I have 2 18v Milwaukee kits and two 28v Milwaukee kits. I am selling everything but the 28v Milwaukee's! Talk about BEASTS! They are about the same weight as the 18v or lighter, they charge quickly. One battery lasts almost all day doing constant rip cuts, or heavy duty drilling. They have a battery indicator on the battery. I cannot say enough good things about these tools and Milwaukee in general. Best and most powerful cordless tools I have ever owned!

Good Luck!