Thread: A Disappointing Day In The Auction House

A Disappointing Day In The Auction House

Hi Gang,

Well I presented several turnings over in the auction house to see how well this Corian stuff would be received by the mini collectors. Can't really say it is doing gang busters. Had a large number of lookers, only one bidder on the first item up, and sold at the starting bid.
    Could be like many a new product introduced, lets see who likes this, on the other hand could be the item really stinks.

I generally start the mines at $5.00. Some times it just astounds me at the price one will bring for a small turned hunk of wood. Go figure.
    The mini market, has been in some what of a slump this last week, even the usual nice turnings are not bringing the prices.
    A new lad has come on board, presenting some quality turnings in stone. Unfortunately, as in the world of selling bowls at shows and flee markets at a lower price just to say I sold my bowls, is hurting others. The starting price is $0.01 and some are selling at that.

Not all is lost though, when one considers the fact at least it sold and it is a new type offering. At $5.00 ea. that's $720.00 a bd. ft. on the avg.

A couple of the items presented in Corian. A stone urn.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, I've got to tell you, those stone (corian) urn are IMHO the most striking piece's you've done to date.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I agree with Keith...the details are outstanding on that urn, Bill.

As to the auction...yea; sometimes it makes no sense and even more so when folks are willing to sell something for nothing, despite depressing the market even for their own work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns
    Bill, I've got to tell you, those stone (corian) urn are IMHO the most striking piece's you've done to date.
    …And your photographic skills are equally amazing!
    Frank

Bill it may work out to $720 a bft foot but how much per hour.
    Last year a member sent us some free tickets to a show in Louisville Ky.
    There was a booth that sold nothing but mini's---starting price $29.99 and up. Even at those prices I felt like they would have to sell a bunch to make money.
    The items they had did not even come close to the quailty level of your workmanship..
    Last edited by Gary Max; 02-21-2006 at 6:27 PM.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Maybe the problem is in the lack of "Surface Clarity" in the photos. They look wonderful, but I think that if I tried to look at them from the laymans eye, maybe they look rough. Dunno.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Maybe the problem is in the lack of "Surface Clarity" in the photos. They look wonderful, but I think that if I tried to look at them from the laymans eye, maybe they look rough. Dunno.

John, when I reviewed the photo, I thought perhaps the same thing. Kinda like a diamond in the rough so to speak.

Seems as though, at the auction house, it's not always the quality of the turning, it's the brilliance of the item. Like a flashy diamond. Who really cares how it's cut, as long as it shins. Turn a small HF, five coats of gloss lacquer, and wham, a hot seller. Guess if it looks smooth and shiny it's ok, may be this Corian stuff will not go over very well. Dunno.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max
    Bill it may work out to $720 a bft foot but how much per hour.
    Last year a member set us some free tickets to a show in Louisville Ky.
    There was a booth that sold nothing but mini's---starting price $29.99 and up. Even at those prices I felt like they would have to sell a bunch to make money.
    The items they had did not even come close to the quailty level of your workmanship..
    Gary, at a show, one must place a price on an item, that will return a fair pr. hr. profit. If one was to do the same at the auction house, generally the item would never get off the starting line.
    Most of the time, even at a $5.00 starting price, the mimes return a very handsome hourly rate. It takes me no time at all, in respect to there size to turn one. Guess like anything else, one learns a vast number of tricks.

The highest price I have seen, and it was not one of my items, only 1/2" tall, ended at $279.00 +-. The item did not sell, because it did not meet the sellers reserve. I will note the gentleman is an artist.

But it's still a good market for those small scraps.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Auctions always amaze me Bill. You can go one time and things sell for prices that go thru the roof and other times you can't give stuff away.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.