Thread: Aniegre pictures.

Aniegre pictures.

I saw these pictures on a website that I frequent that carries figured hardwoods, mostly maple. This piece of wood was described as "Anegre is an African wood that is about the same density as maple.....if not a little more. It stains and works similar to maple. Surfaced two face, no knots and absolutely beautiful." This piece listed for $375.00, so it must be pretty rare. Thought I would share it with my fellow Creekers so you can say "yea, I've seen that" when some smarty-pants brings it up at a WW show or some other forum!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Pritchard; 02-21-2006 at 11:33 PM.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Looks pretty but thirty dollars a board foot is a bit much for me!

Dave Fried

I have paid about $12 to $16 for figured Anegre....sounds a little high
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

It is a beautiful wood Tom, thanks for the pics.

Corey

I've got about 400 sq. ft of gorgeous fiddle back anigre veneer. All very old and quite thick. 5 sequential flitches. I think I paid about $.10 a sq/ft. Very nice stuff though.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Steve Jenkins in the Dallas area has done some really nice work with Anigre veneered sheet goods. It's really beautiful stuff. I have a few slices of veneer somewhere in the shop...just waiting for the right project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can you let us know who had that? $375 for 12.6 bd ft does seem a bit much

Hardwoods

Tom,

Since you are in Rochester, have you ever heard of WestPenn Hardwoods located here in Olean? Here is their link: (Hope I can post this link)

http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/

They have a neat selection of lumber and Rocky is good to deal with. A friend of mine who has a mill has cut some weird wood for this place. He gets it from all over the world and sells all over the world. Check it out. His place of business is only a half a mile from my house. Boy does that suck )

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Harper
    Can you let us know who had that? $375 for 12.6 bd ft does seem a bit much
    Hi Charles, the place that has this is called "Maple Leaf Hardwoods", and the link is here:
    http://www.curlymaple.com/pvtstk.shtml

The piece I referred to is PS1252, the last one on the page that you will open. I have no idea on what the price should or shouldn't be. I do know that what I've bought from this place in the past has been beautiful wood. Thanks for asking!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Disorbo
    Tom,

Since you are in Rochester, have you ever heard of WestPenn Hardwoods located here in Olean? Here is their link: (Hope I can post this link)

http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/

They have a neat selection of lumber and Rocky is good to deal with. A friend of mine who has a mill has cut some weird wood for this place. He gets it from all over the world and sells all over the world. Check it out. His place of business is only a half a mile from my house. Boy does that suck )

Michael
    Michael, thanks for the note! Good to hear from you again. I haven't heard of West Penn Hardwoods before, but you got me all stirred up about visiting them! My wife and I travel to Ridgway, PA to tend her parents graves and visit her aunt occasionally, and we stop at the Beef and Barrel in Olean without fail. Next time through it looks like 2 stops in Olean! Hope their open Saturdays....Thanks for the tip Michael!

$375 a board?! Wait...doesn't that stuff grow on trees?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

There's some good looking stuff at that site. Being out here in Washington we have access to some of the best in figured maple, but they sure do have some sweet boards.
    One of these days we will have to go visit my inlaws in New York, and I definitely want to swing by some of those Pennsylvania lumber yards.