Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Question II

Question Chuck Question II

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two chucks? They both like something I may be able to afford in the near future:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=100-0240

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=454-0100

Thanks,
    Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Jason,
    Either one of those would work very well. The problem with the first one is that you use tommy bars to tighten the jaws. Sometimes it seems that you need three arms to get a piece chucked up. The second one looks like a real deal. PSI had them for sale for a few months, but I noticed in their latest catalogue that they do not list that same chuck with all the accessories listed.

IIRC there are some creekers that bought that rig from PSI. Maybe they'll give us all a critique on it. I have two Oneway Talons, but they are real expensive. I've been thinking about getting one like that second one you mention.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

If you have a spindle lock and aren't trying to load heavy items the first chuck would work fine. I have the 4jaw utility chuck from PSI and have found it works fine for me. Would I buy another? Not if I could get a nicer one at a bargain. That second one is, and I'm guessing here, the Cadiliac of chucks?

Looked again and it's more like the Pontiac of chucks. I think the apprentice line of items are slightly less expensive.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Jason, for the midi chuck check here: http://stores.ebay.com/Woodworker-Specialties
    I bought my supernova2 chuck from him and have since bought 4 sets of jaws. He ships fast, but the Canadian postal service leaves somthing to be desired.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I wasn't born in the mountains, but I got here as fast as I could!

Jason - I have no experience with either chuck.

But when we were gearing up for the Tick Tock Flight, I suggested the Nova Midi as a suitable chuck. I'll admit that the price attracted me. But Jim Becker talked me out of it quite quickly, so we chose the Super Nova 2. You should shoot Jim a message to get the skinny on the midi as I do not recall the specifics.
    Only the Blue Roads

The Nova I've heard of, but the other one? Nyet! Yes, there was some issues with the Nova midi, I believe, and comments haven't been kind.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The second one looks like the very same as the PSI Barracuda II chuck, is it the same one? Comes in a wooden box and all.

Corey

has anyone actually field tested the Baracuda 2 chuck from psi??

I remember one thread on another forum where a fellow bought the Barracuda and went through two or more before getting one that was acceptable. It was a couple months ago and my memory may not be totally accurate.
    --

People keep talking about needing three hands to chuck up a piece on a chuck with tommy bars. I have three of the utility chucks from PSI. They were 45 dollars each. It is a very simple matter to hold the piece with one hand and tighten the chuck with one hand enough to hold the piece and then come back with the bars and tighten it down. I could say the keyed chuck was hard to use because you have to tighten with your left hand. It's just what you get used to. So for the price of the one chuck, i have three chucks that work very well. I have small jaws on one, large jaws on one, and the jumbo cole jaws on the last one. Saves a bunch of time. All those little set screws are a pain.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The Nova I've heard of, but the other one? Nyet! Yes, there was some issues with the Nova midi, I believe, and comments haven't been kind.
    Jim,
    The unkind comments refer to the original Nova Compact chuck which is no longer being manufactured. The Midi is a fine little chuck...I have one on my Jet and it has never failed me, even with large turnings. As for the tommy bars, it is a one-handed chuck once you start putting the bars in the right holes. One advantage to the Midi is that the jaws are interchangeable with the SuperNova, which I also have and like so much that I just ordered a second one (chuck body only). It's a shame that the Midi has been unfairly tarnished by the reputation of it's predecessor.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

I Had a Nova Midi & didn't like the bars tightening system & sent it back & got a Oneway. Left handed isn't a problem for me until I had to operate 2 items to tighten the chuck of course I'm no good with chop stick in my right hand either. I was born left handed & changed to right handed so it isn't a problem of which hand. I've never had a problem tightening a chuck on a machine lathe with my left hand either. I am much happier with the Oneway.

I am going to purchase more jaws for my Oneway chuck.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Jim, there is a Barracuda and a Barracuda II. The Barracuda II is a scroll chuck I believe. Was it the II ? the Barracuda uses tommy bars.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Jim, there is a Barracuda and a Barracuda II. The Barracuda II is a scroll chuck I believe. Was it the II ? the Barracuda uses tommy bars.
    I don't recall, but suspect it was the keyed version since it was a "new" product. It was on another forum that I only drop in on very infrequently.
    --