Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraved Wooden Sign

Engraved Wooden Sign

This is the sign Aaron and I made this week for Ken Salisbury's woodworking show display. It is made from alder, the center logo is cherry and is set into a 1/8" deep hole so that it is just slightly raised above the surface of the sign. Overall dimentions of the sign are 10" x 13" x 7/8" thick and it is engraved on both sides. The lettering is engraved almost 1/32" deep and the plaque was given a roman ogee edge treatment on both sides. Finished with 3 coats of laquer and power rubbed with Johnson's past wax before the engraving was done.

Ken hasn't seen this sign yet, I'm sure that by now he has already left Alabama for the 5 Barns Picnic so I'm posting the picture of the sign to share with everyone before we surprise Ken at the picnic.

I had hoped to have time to build a wrought iron stand for this sign but time ran out on me this week.

I have cross posted this message to the Power Tool Forum from Laser Woodworking for the benefit of those who don't read other forums.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith

I am pretty sure that when you present this to Ken you will shock him into silence.

Terry

RX for Ken

You know I didn't consider the possibility of Ken losing his voice, maybe I better have a Bud Light ready in case we need to revive him

Thanks for the kind words Terry, this sign really is a beauty. As always my photography skills are lacking, the picture doesn't do the sign justice and I'm sure Ken will be pleased with the sign.

Keith the sign is absolutely beautiful. You guys do some amazing work. I know Ken will be very proud of it.

By the way. I got the motor yesterday for my lathe project. Since I can't go to the picnic maybe I can get started on that this weekend.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Dan Bussiere Guest

Ken's Sign

Keith,
    I haven't met Ken yet, so I hope this beautiful sign doesn't lull him into too much of a stupor, because I want to get the full flavor of his personality! I mean, Saturday morning when I arrive I don't want to think you guys have been stretching the truth about him! All I saw was a quiet man with his mouth stuck open! So, for me, bring 2 Bud Lights! He may need them both! In case you don't get my silly humor, GREAT SIGN!
    Dan

Silence??

I don't think you could shock Ken into silence for more than 10 seconds if your life depended on it, well, unless you told him the Bud Light brewery exploded.

Very nice sign and I'm sure the ole Reb will love it.

Bob

Blog Entries

Great job!

You may make an old man cry. Ken will be very pleased I'm sure. Great looking sign, I'll look forward to seeing it and meeting you!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Keith & Aaron-

Outstanding and very classy. You're gonna make me want one of them lasers before it's all over!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Outstanding

Beautiful work. Both of you are to be congratulated.

One question: didn't the paste wax "mess" with the laser work, like burn, smoke, tint, whatever? Just asking because I don't know....
    Best Regards, Ken

Thumbs up

Wow! What a beauitful sign. I'm sure Ken will be very pleased. Sawmill Creek sure is a great place to be a part of.

Keith and Aaron the sign is so neat. Also, while I'm in an appreciative mood I would like to thank both of you for being there when the Pond was drained. Thanks
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.

Congrats on a great job ...

[QUOTE=Keith Outten]This is the sign Aaron and I made this week for Ken Salisbury's woodworking show display. I had hoped to have time to build a wrought iron stand for this sign but time ran out on me this week.

I knew that sign would look great when you showed it to me in your shop. I told my wife I would have to work with you and Aaron to make one up for my shop when I build it. Excellent job.

Ron
    Thanks, Ron

Cool Simply beautiful!

You guys do some wonderful work! I can't see any single way that Ken won't be completely star-struck by that beautiful piece!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Is this any better?

Fantastic Sign

Keith & Aaron, you guys did an outstanding job. What a beautiful sign.
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Ken's Sign

Ken was surprised when we gave him the sign, I hid it in a denim bag and gave it to him when we arrived. His eyes lit up and he was very appreciative. We had a great time working on Ken's sign, it was a very enjoyable project, maybe in time we can complete the job and get the iron stand built...hey I want one of these for my shop as well.

If you ever have the opportunity to meet Ken in person be advised...Ken is Rough and Gruff on the outside but the nicest guy you will ever meet. Everyone calls Ken a "Character" which probably is the best way to descrbe him. After several hours of conversation with Ken I found him to be an interesting storyteller, a retired Coach that adores kids and a kind soul that loves life and woodworking...and will go out of his way to help anyone.

Thanks again to "The Old Rebel" for putting up with Aaron and myself over the weekend. We truly enjoyed your wit, humor and friendship.