Thread: Wood Darkening - How To Avoid?

Wood Darkening - How To Avoid?

I believe that I read that as wood ages it darkens. And exposure to direct sunlight will speed up the process.

Is there any way to avoid this? Or at least slow the process down?

This is in reference to Pyrography. Many people say that over the years some of their works fade. I don't think they are saying that right. The burnt lines don't really fade. As the wood darkens with age the burnt lines look like they are fading but they are actually staying the same. It's the unburnt wood that is darkening to the same shade(s) as the burnt lines.

Anyway, keeping it out of direct sunlight is the obvious way. But are there any other solutions to this darkening effect?

Keep in mind we can only use clear varnishes, lacquers, sealers, etc... as we don't want to distort or cover up the burnt image.

Thanks,

James

Not really...it's a natural process. Avoiding UV helps, but normal oxidation "happens". (Some species get lighter, by the way...air dried black walnut being one of them)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim has it right. There just isn't a practical way to prevent wood from changing color over time. Trying to do this is tilting at windmills. We humans have to take the natural world as given us. If we want an object to never change color, we should make it of something other than wood--plastic perhaps--or stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Not really...it's a natural process. Avoiding UV helps, but normal oxidation "happens". (Some species get lighter, by the way...air dried black walnut being one of them)
    How much of the effect is UV and how much is oxidation? Seems like the oxidation part can be minimized by the choice of finish: no oxygen, no oxidation.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks!

That's what I figured. Will pass the info on to the others.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Seems like the oxidation part can be minimized by the choice of finish: no oxygen, no oxidation.
    Not true. None of the finishes we generally use stops the passing of moisture and or oxygen...it may slow it a little. For example, Shellac is an excellent moisture barrier (moisture being different than water!), but it still passes. Finishes do not really "seal" the wood with any sense of impermeability. (Maybe some epoxy resins may...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good info here fellers. Thanks.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Here's something to think about. A lady over on the Pyrography forum said that she uses here pyrography pen to seal the wood. Uses it on a low enough setting not to burn the wood but hot enough to seal it. She runs the hot pen over the entire surface. She said it works and pictures that she has done a long time ago have not oxidized while others she did without this "non-visible burning" have darkened.

I suggested she try a flat iron (not a steam one or one with any lnes/ridges on the bottom) and she said it would probably work. If it got hot enough.

Any ideas on what she may have stumbled upon?

Maybe the heat is sealing the pores/grain?

James