Thread: How much "support" for MDF

How much "support" for MDF

A few more "shop projects" left to go, then I have a rather large one. I'm going to build a 8' x 3' miter saw station (similar to the NYW plan).

If I use 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF and have to span openings that are no more than 3' x 2' 6" - how much intermediate support should it need. I'd like it to stay dead flat for a long, long time.

Also - would it be better to use Titebond, Probond or Gorilla Glue for the laminiation?

TIA-

bd

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dormer
    If I use 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF and have to span openings that are no more than 3' x 2' 6" - how much intermediate support should it need. I'd like it to stay dead flat for a long, long time.
    I like overkill as much as the next person, but I think the answer to that question is "none".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Dont know about the sag question, but I just glued up some 12 layer 9"x12" blocks of 3/4" MDF with Probond (just cuz it's what I had handy) and it glued up really well. I imagine Titebond would work just as well. I just laid down a few beads then used some scrap plastic laminate to spread a thin coat on all the layers.
    Use the fence Luke

Are you laminating the two sheets of MDF together? If so, consider using thinner sheets to get more laminations. The strength is in the glue and I'd use something like Unibond 800 for such things.

If you want it to stay flat for a long time, you should seriously consider additional support. Some hardwood edgebanding might be all you need but I'd go further and look to putting some hardwood on edge under the top.

You are in a humid area and unless you seal that MDF well (I suggest laminating BOTH exposed sides and all edges), it will soak up moisture over time and sag.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

In my haste, I guess I did omit the fact that the MDF will be laminated. So total thickness would be 1 1/2". I was going to use 3/4" - but I have a (less critical) counter in the shop that's already got a sag in it (despite some creative shimming) and has to be redone (so, I'm going to double it up).

I was intending to either put some laminate top and bottom or use WATCO Oil on the raw MDF. I'll edge band it with either oak or maple (whatever I can get for le$$).

bd

Brian, take a look at the "Cantilevered Miter Station" article/pictorial on my site. You can see what kind of support I have under a single sheet of 3/4" MDF and judge from there what you will need. My supports are about 12" OC if I recall clearly, but it was quite a long time ago that I built it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...