Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Blank Squaring Jig....

Pen Blank Squaring Jig....

How do you guys trim your pen blank Barrels. I have the PSI barrel trimmers but I find that they are good for about half a dozen swipes on a hard blank and they don't cut cleanly at all. Anybody use the squaring jig from PSI on a disk sander or have plans to make one?

Thanks,
    Corey

Corey I made my own. I have the 4 X 36 with a 6" disc sander. I screwed a piece of wood on my mitre so that the wood just misses the disc by 1/8". I clamp the mitre in place and square it with my machinist square. Then just slide the blank into the wheel. Works great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mine is basically the same as Bernie's.

George

Maybe it doesn't make that big of difference but if your blanks aren't really square which many aren't then they won't be square really will they? The PSI jig has a rod that the tube slides over then up to the disc. Like I said, maybe it doesn't make that big of difference.

Corey

Corey, I think it would make a differance. When you put the pen together you want it to fit even all the way around. If your holes are always straight through the blank (yeah, right ) then it wouldn't matter, but if they are off even slightly then you would need the barrel trimer or the PSI jigamathingy. Just depends how staight your holes are.

Pat that is true as well on the drilling, if the whole isn't straight, then it to wouldn't be square either. What to do....

Corey

I haven't done a pen in a year or two, but all this talk is getting me anxious to have another go at it.

Lemme propose an idea for warped, twisted, gnarly, pen blank stock. Could you slap it up on the lathe between centers and turn it round and straight. And then take it off for drilling, squaring of the ends, etc.

If this would work then the jigamathingy gets really easy, wouldn't it?
    Only the Blue Roads

That is probably not a bad idea Andy when you have a piece of wood like that. I was told by a guy that is how he prepares his deer antler for turning cause that is pretty difficult to get ready to drill center properly.

Corey

P.S. if you saw my post over in flat land, my drill press shot craps tonight as well!! Good thing I got blanks drilled out for this weekend!

I use a pen mill. It does a good job of squaring the ends. When it gets a little dull, i give it a quick tune-up wuth a fine little flat file and go again. I do mostly HARD woods, including IPE and Black Locust. I get about 100 pens before I have to dress it again.

Bruce

Bruce, your a better man than me. I pulled out a brand new barrel trimmer from PSI and did 4 holes and it was dull and would cut allready. Four blanks and it started chattering and it only had 1/32nd or less to trim as well.

Corey

Corey - Try changing the rotation of the drill
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Corey - Try changing the rotation of the drill
    Ah Andy, you're a cruel heartless man. Funny, but still heartless.

Corey, you might have gotten a bad one. Have you tried sharpening it? Take the mill portion off the center post, so you can get to the angle easier. If that doesn't work, call PSI and see if they will replace it. Mine is a PSI unit that we sell at Woodcraft.

Bruce

Corey...For what it's worth, this is what the guys at Berea Hardwood showed me when Blake McCulley and I went there....

Take your blank, after you've glued the tube in...and mount it on the mandrel and get it fairly tight. Rough turn it down to a nice cylinder. Now the outer diameter is concentric to the inner diameter. Take it off the lathe and use the disc sander jig. Comes out perfect every time.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I do exactly what John said above.

It does work great.

I just clamp a block of scrap to my disk sanders table and let it guide the blank.