Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pen Blank Squaring Jig....

Thanks guys for your help! I appreciate it. Looks like I have a couple options to try.

Corey

There are multiple way to do it and i have used the disc sander technique as well as the barrel trimmers and the later are my favorites hands down because they are always perfect. Unless you have all you set up perfect on the disc sander there can be problems. I have never had to sharpen my trimmers yet...

Man, I don't know how you guys get these trimmers to cut. Mine just didn't cut worth a dang. I bought the 7mm trimmer from PSI and then got the $35.00 set with the 3/4 trimmer and not much better luck. It wanted to chatter after 4 barrells.
    Anyway, I will figure something out! Thanks guys.
    Corey

I lean toward the DELICATE approach!

Corey,
    Put a 6" cylinder on your assembly press and crank your compressor up to 400 psi. I GUARANTEE that the parts will align properly!

Seriously, though, I also use the belt sander thing. It has always worked well for me. If you have a good drilling jig, you should not have problems with "crooked" holes. If you have a problem with the bit "wandering" it may be that it needs sharpening or replacement. Although this flies in the face of "common practice", I have actually had very good luck with plain old twist drills as opposed to the brad or "bullet" points. In a lot of materials, I think that they may generate less heat. Try backing off on your drilling feed rate.

As has been mentioned, antler can be a REAL problem. I drill those puppies at a VERY slow rate and use a hypodermic needle (I talked my doctor, or was it my drug dealer, into giving me a prescription) to inject water into the hole. If the blanks appear to be a bit "off" on the lathe, they are worth removing and going back to the belt sander. When the end of the tube is "shiny" all the way around, you should be pretty close. Good Luck!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Thanks Dale , no problem drilling straight holes in my jig. That is fine, just having trouble with the barrell trimmers. I am going to try the PSI jig for the disc sander.
    Thanks,
    Corey