Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/2" Hand Drill > 2000 RPM

1/2" Hand Drill > 2000 RPM

The LOML, bless her heart, bought me the Kreg K2000 pocket hole jig for my birthday. (only problem is this means I'll need to work on our den sooner rather than later.) Anyway, i don't have the heart to tell her that, according to Kreg, my cordless drill isn't up to drilling the holes. Kreg recomends 2000+ RPM, and based on my lunch-time internet search, it seems that to get 2000+ RPM I'll have to get a 3/8" corded drill. Now my 12V Ryobi basically does 90% of what I need, so I was thinking that a 3/8" corded drill might be pretty redundant. Whereas a 1/2" corded drill would actually fill in areas where the 12V drill won't cut it. So, is there a 1/2" drill that will get up to 2000 RPM? Or should I just get an inexpensive 3/8" drill and wait till I really need the big brother?

Thanks,
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

cordless drill

I use a cordless drill on my kegg all the time set on HI no problem Halsey

2000 rpm, might have to go with an air drill to attain that speed

Come again? Most DeWalt corded 3/8", Milwaukee 0201, 0233, all Porter-Cable 3/8", top speed is over 2000 rpm.

But in 1/2"? All I can find are under a thou. Get gotta be afraid someone would chuck some monster up, have a catch, and twist both their arms off.

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey MCCombs
    I use a cordless drill on my kegg all the time set on HI no problem Halsey
    Sorry Halsey, I have to point out your typo...The kegs I've seen already have the hole for the spigot! Just don't tell me you're using the hole to "slam" a keg!

If I remember what I read last night, the higher speed is for keeping the bit from getting prematurely dull. But based on my level of production, it probably won't be a big deal. I think this really falls under excuse for a new tool.

Thanks again!
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Drills for Kreg Jigs

I have no idea the specs, but I regularly drill Kreg Jig holes with my Bosch 14.4 and my Craftsman 16.8 with no problems at all. In fact, I occasionally use my 8 year old's Craftsman 14.4 which is way underpowered for a 14.4. It doesn't work great, but it will work in a pinch.

Please disregard all this information if your true goal is to have a viable excuse to get a new drill.
    JB

I originally used a 9.6V Makita stick battery unit to drill the pocket holes and though it worked, it was slow and the battery just couldn't keep up with the demand. SWMBO bought me a 14.4 DeWalt and I just drilled a bunch of pocket holes with the new drill and it worked FINE.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

When I first got my Krieg jig, I used my cordless drill for the honors. That got old fast. So, I've dedicated my old B&D 3/8" corded drill to the process and it works like a champ. I just keep the step drill loaded in it all the time. Yes, you DO need the speed to cut these holes quickly and cleanly. Major difference...

So if you don't have an old corded drill around, just pick up a cheap 3.8" corded drill at the local big box (or a garage sale or pawn shop). There is no need to spend a lot of money!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

the reason Kreg gives for at least 2000 rpm the step drill doesn't dull as fast,,,I bought a Dewalt 3/8 does a great job
    ,,,,just watch the rated rmp when you buy,,,,,,
    Mike

"Mister" Steve, I based my information on what the man can buy. What is already in my or your shop hardly seems like a reasonable limit for what he wants...

Dave

I use my Dewalt 14.4

I have drilled thousands of Kreg holes with my Dewalt 14.4 and still am on the first drill. I actually have two drills and have the collars set for different depths.

A little hint. I put some self stick slippery plastic under the collars to reduce galling of the collar and drill bushing. Works great.

CPeter

Is this a glitch or was that really a 19 month old thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely
    Is this a glitch or was that really a 19 month old thread?
    Probably not a glitch. On occasion, folks will come across an old thread and reply to it before they realize the age of the thread. If the info isn't out of date, one might see that as a feature.

For those who have only used cordless drills with their Kreg Jig: try a corded with the step bit a few times. You'll be amazed at the difference. The holes go MUCH faster, and are a little cleaner to boot--the chips are thrown up the drill bit flutes more effectively, which would also help keep the bit cooler.

As for 1/2" corded drills, I have a Milwaukee Hammer drill (dual mode, actually), and yes, it can just about yank your arm off if your 4" hole saw catches. That being said, I find corded drills, unless they are geared for it specially, are best for high-speed drilling applications. Cordless, with their DC motors are better at low-speed, high-torque needs, such as driving screws.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

This is an old thread but I am considering getting a Kreg system so was glad to see it. I take it that my new corded Ridgid VS 1/2 drill will be the one to use on it then.

Corey

I have a Hitachi corded drill....very inexpensive $26 from Ebay....I kep the Kreg bit in there it is torquey and ready to go....
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I just bought a Ridgid 3/8" corded drill rated for 2500 RPM, both as a back up to my cordless (though since I'm about to buy a Panasonic 15.6V, that alone wouldn't be a reason), and as a semi-dedicated pocket hole drill. There just isn't any comparison in both speed and finish between a high-RPM corded and a cordless. The high RPM's make drilling holes much faster, and considering the number of holes I find myself drilling for the average project, the difference adds up quick.

Plus I've found that drilling pocket holes really drains a battery fast, and since a corded drill costs $60 or less - not much more than a new 18V battery - why not get the corded drill and save the battery some serious wear?