Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's Norm?

Question Where's Norm?

I didn't get to see the Fredericksburg edition of Norm this morning. Our local PBS didn't air it. Even our local newspaper mentioned the show and said it was going to be this morning on PBS. Oh well, did anyone else get to see it?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    The last two weeks have been a tutorial on routers and their use. Most informative.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Bryon,
    The Fredericksburg program was on Richmond Comcast PBS channel 24 at 1:00 pm. It will play again next Sat. at 10:30 am on Richmond Comcast PBS channel 23. Sorry you missed it; some good shots of the river.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Just thinkin' 'bout Norm this morning, haven't seen him (NYW) for about 6 months now, all the satelite channels seem to be featuring Dave Marks and Amy (Freeform Furniture) nowadays. Still get lots of TOH reruns, just not NYW.
    Tony

I saw the episode with Norm in VA getting wood from an old dam this morning. I was totally underwhelmed with the wood. The oak was black from years of mineral absorption and had lots of cracks, knots and nail/spike holes. Looked like it had been dyed with black aniline dyes. He made a corner/gateleg table and had to put a very dark stain on the wood to make it look anything like a nice wood suitable for a traditional piece. I would only use this wood for something more modern and then let the dark color of the wood show through.

My local PBS Station carried the Shop Clock episode this past Saturday. The next two weeks are on Routers.
    The only way to make dreams come true is to wake up.

My NC PBS has been running their annual fundraiser which overrides NYW the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I made a point to wrap up a project early, just to watch. I settled onto the couch, turned on the tv and there was Patsy Cline and a country special. I like PC, but I really wanted to watch Norm.

Oh well,.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ziegler
    My NC PBS has been running their annual fundraiser which overrides NYW the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I made a point to wrap up a project early, just to watch. I settled onto the couch, turned on the tv and there was Patsy Cline and a country special. I like PC, but I really wanted to watch Norm.

Oh well,.
    Yea, I don't understand the PBS fundraising "strategy" at all. You sit down to watch your favorite show, and PBS instantly pisses you off by showing instead a "special" program about something you have no interest in. 'sure is a funny time to then ask you for money.

One would think they'd do alot better to instead show an hour-long special epside of NYW, or something like that, instead of an opera or whatever else they pre-empt NYW and TOH with during pledge week.

Quote Originally Posted by John Timberlake
    I saw the episode with Norm in VA getting wood from an old dam this morning. I was totally underwhelmed with the wood. The oak was black from years of mineral absorption and had lots of cracks, knots and nail/spike holes. Looked like it had been dyed with black aniline dyes. He made a corner/gateleg table and had to put a very dark stain on the wood to make it look anything like a nice wood suitable for a traditional piece. I would only use this wood for something more modern and then let the dark color of the wood show through.
    John, I second your comments. Norm committed to the project before he actually got a look at the wood. That has to be Norm’s ugliest project ever.
    Larry

Byron,
    I was wondering if WETA was going to skip ahead 3 weeks worth of episodes to show that episode. They've never matched the NYW schedule that most PBS channels seem to follow. They still showed the behind the scenes clip after this episode but this week they left off the "See the Fredericksburg episode... on "this date" like they had been doing previously. Maybe we'll see it in April once the fundraising episodes are done.

I wonder what kind of guff the station manager caught after the article was even published in the newspaper about it being on this week?
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Also noticed he had alot of blotching of the finished project that they tried to hide at the end. I suppose it happens to Norm too..............

Regardless of how the handkerchief table finish turned out, I liked the project. There's a corner or two in my house that would perfectly accept this project. I'm not a fan of the choice of wood either, although I am a BIG fan or using reclaimed wood.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Byron, look for that episode this Saturday at 10:30 on Cox Cable channel 10 (the Richmond PBS feed). They always run one week behind what the actual schedule says they will.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    Yea, I don't understand the PBS fundraising "strategy" at all. You sit down to watch your favorite show, and PBS instantly pisses you off by showing instead a "special" program about something you have no interest in. 'sure is a funny time to then ask you for money.

One would think they'd do alot better to instead show an hour-long special epside of NYW, or something like that, instead of an opera or whatever else they pre-empt NYW and TOH with during pledge week.
    I know exactly what you mean. So far this season there have been 2 2-part shows. The first time my PBS station had a fund raiser and the second time which was on the router they had college basketball. I refuse to donate anymore because of this.

It always makes me snicker when the local PBS station starts on the fundraiser and tell you that only you can keep this type of quality programming on the air... funny thing is that they pull out all the "best" shows during the fundraiser, and then return to regular programming... Always a curious thing Don't get me wrong... I would love how to paint pretty flowers (Donna Dewberry or whatever is her name), but they only show you how to do it during the fundraising time

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ziegler

Oh well,.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood