Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collection

Kurt I have the HF DC. It works well for me. I have it hooked to my bandsaw, jointer and table saw with gates. Since I only use it for one machine at a time it does just fine. I got the Wynn Filter conversion for it. I bought the 35A filter which is 80/20 polyester/paper for about $100 including shipping. That made a big difference. It says it filters to .5 micron.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Timely subject, as I just returned from Woodcraft and Home Depot with fittings for my system.
    I'm wondering about the ground wire. Why is is necessary and where does one position it?
    Thanks,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Bernie...you really can't make a dust/chip collector work well while turning, especially since most of it comes towards "the operator". Every movement you make directs the chips in a different direction, too. It is effective for sanding however.
    Jim,

You and I sure do think alike. Yea....what Jim said!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Melton
    Timely subject, as I just returned from Woodcraft and Home Depot with fittings for my system.
    I'm wondering about the ground wire. Why is is necessary and where does one position it?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe,

I don't have one and don't plan on installing one either. I've got the Pentz 5HP cyclone. I've TRIED to get a static discharge off my piping and just can't do it. Not even when I feed it 10 gallons of sawdust at one time. You can feel it build....but I don't think as a hobbiest, that I'll ever have enough "stuff" to make it have a static discharge. I've tried this several times, and just haven't been able to make it happen.

I'd forget about it....but if it makes you feel better? Install one.

All this is just my experience and thoughts on the subject.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I use my DC while sanding, it's useless while making chips.

Joe,
    My buddy's planer does develop enough of a charge to zap anyone who touches the tubing while the planer is in use. I think it is more of a problem at the tubing bends since most material hits the outside of the bend. It's not enough to be harmful, it just kind of surprises you if you aren't expecting it. It's not like touching a lawn mower plug but closer to get a good carpet shock.

So, do you just run a bare copper wire alongside the dc tubing, and connect it somewhere on the dc itself to ground the system? I assume I can just tape it, at 3 or 4' intervals, to the sewer piping I am using. I wear a pretty fancy hearing aid and am not supposed to get shocked, as it can harm the aid.
    Thanks,
    Joe

The recommended way is to actually wrap the plastic pipe with a bare wire in a spiral fashion from the dust collector to the tool and attach it on both ends to the metal body of the machine. That way any build up along the whole system will be discharged. Some people actually run a bare wire inside the pipe but I'm not sure that's necessary and I have heard complaints about the wire causing the pipe to plug up.

Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Rosenzweig
    I wear a dust mask when sanding but i'm sure the dust stays airborne for a while after I take it off! Being winter and all I'm in the shop with all the doors shut and the heat on so it's really confined!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...5399/45378.gif
    I would be very concerned about a dust explosion in the conditions you discribe. I hope the heat doesn't involve an open flame or a pilot light in a gas water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Melton
    So, do you just run a bare copper wire alongside the dc tubing, and connect it somewhere on the dc itself to ground the system? I assume I can just tape it, at 3 or 4' intervals, to the sewer piping I am using. I wear a pretty fancy hearing aid and am not supposed to get shocked, as it can harm the aid.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    I installed 6" and 4" PVC light weight piping. Bought a few rolls of hanger strap. That is the 3/4" wide metal strapping with holes every inch along it. It is cheap. Bought a box of 100 self tapping sheet metal screws 3/8" long. I then ran the hanger strap longway on every run of pipe. Put a screw through a hole in the hanger strap with the point sticking about 1/4" or less inside the pipe, at the fittings only about 1/8" sticks inside. Put a screw every 6", it just takes a few seconds to drive one with a drill motor. The hanger strap is grounded at the dust collector blower, the green wire that goes to the shop electrical ground completes the circut. You just make sure that each run of pipe strap touches the next run so you have a complete connection to that ground.

The strap collects static electricity on the outside of the pipe and the tips of the screws collect static electricity inside the pipe. You want to change the run of pipe you just unscrew the strapping make your change and screw it back down.

Thanks a lot for the great advice, guys.
    Joe

Kurt, I have one and for what I paid I like it. I've recently added a Wynn canister, for better filtering. If you look at one, make sure you wait till it's on sale and then roll in with the 20% coupons. Done that way you can pick it up for around ~$130.

Once you upgrade bags, cost wise, you might be better served with a Delta that comes with 1 or 5 mic bags. Of course if you like the cartridge filter you end up cheaper than the avalaible cartridge units from the bigger mfgrs. Not the best build quality but serviceable.

Bob