Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap effective shop air filter pics...

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft
    I built an effective air cleaner using a 1/2hp 3 speed furnace blower. I contacted our filter supplier at work, and requested the company pricing. After explaining my application to the sales rep he recommended the following: Prefilter is a Farr 3030 size 24x24x2 and a Multi-Wedge MW-45 24x24x12. The multi wedge is a 45% efficiency because he thought the 90% would require more static pressure than my humble blower could produce. The prefilter cost $5.95 and the multi-wedge $17.95 and I can buy them by the each! Overall my total cost for the unit was around $100 dollars, most of which was the oak veneer plywood.

I have pictures to post if I could figure out how to do it in less than 2 hours (cry for help)
    Kyle,
    1.)download a free program called "pixresizer"
    2.)bring up your photos and modify them to be under 100KB
    3.)create a folder called resized photos (a suggestion) so you can find them later
    4.)type your message at Sawmill Creek
    5.)click on the little paper clip icon at the top center.
    6.)upload your photos.
    7.)do not "preview" your message until after you have uploaded and returned to the main page.

Rob

floor version filter

I'll toss my two cents in on this thread. I made a filter using a 220v AC fan placed in a large box on the floor. I have a Filtrete 25x25 final filter with 3 25x25 fiberglass prefilters. the outlet is at the bottom and blows a lot of air around the shop. I then made another smaller filter, 16x20 using an attic gable fan and 3 fiberglass filters. I mounted this in the opposite corner on the ceiling. I don't just depend on this for DC, I also have a 2HP DC for machine operations and most of the time I wear a quality mask. Overkill, maybe but my shop is cleaner and my head stays clear. DC takes a comprehensive approach, not just one thing over another but use of everything you can do to alleviate dust dangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft
    I have pictures to post if I could figure out how to do it in less than 2 hours (cry for help)
    Kyle, Rob gave you a nice overview for posting pics. Our own Vaughn M. has actually created an entire document for doing the same. You can check it out here: http://workingwoods.com/workingwoods...20on%20SMC.htm
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Andersen
    Steve,

I intend to make an air unit like this one. Looks really neat. I have way too much dust in my workshop. Here are a few questions:

1) Do you need a centrifugal ventilator or an axial? (It looks like you have a centrifugal?)

2) How long time will the filters typically last? Can they be cleaned with water and soap or do I need to buy a bunch of them at the outset?

3) Do you have an electronic copy of the Woodsmith #95?

4) What Julio said, what's the reason for the space?

Thanks for sharing, looks really good.

Tom
    Good questions....wish I was smart enough to answer them for you. I can provide you with a copy I scanned from the original if you want to PM me your address I'll snail mail it to you.

Thanks John and Rob! I will now try the tutorial I printed out showing the pictures of my shop-built air cleaner!

2006_0227Kraft0020.JPG

2006_0227Kraft0019.JPG

2006_0227Kraft0018.JPG

Well, it looks like the process worked! Picture quality leaves a bit to be desired. Perhaps setting the resolution of my camera up one notch might help.

So what color you gonna paint it. Might I suggest Green/Gold with a big as will fit G on each side.

Good looking and functional unit Steve.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Kyle, where did you buy the filters?
    Thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    So what color you gonna paint it. Might I suggest Green/Gold with a big as will fit G on each side.

Good looking and functional unit Steve.

Karl
    Karl, Great idea....something similar to this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    Karl, Great idea....something similar to this?

Hmmmm....I have a couple jokes comparing the the Pack with an air cleaner.... but it my be best to insert your own joke here .

ps ( I don't really think the Pack sucks...like an air cleaner; more like a big Dust Collector)
    Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Guys,
    I have exactly the same project on my list. I'm using a 1100 CFM attic fan that was $25 at the local borg. The fan requires a 14.5-15" circular mount on a piece of plywood. I'll be building out of plywood since I just got a stash of it for free (I know Tyler...it doesn't exist without a pic!). I plan to use four 20x20x1 filters that are available at your local shop as follows:

-One cheap blue fiber filter on the intake and output sides
    -One 3M filtrete and one 3M allergan filter in series before the fan

So in order from input to output it will look like this:
    Blue, filtrete, allergan, fan, blue

Do you have any other suggestions that will make this better without spending a lot of $$$? Does anyone have any shop drawings that I could adapt to my size constraints?

Blog Entries
    Julio, I asked the same question of my HVAC friend and he "guessed" (and emphasized it was a guess) that for a given blower type there needs to be enough captive airspace to act as sort of a cushion compensating for the flow restriction as the filter gets dirty.

I guess it made sense as my gable fan seemed to move a lot more air with the space between it and the first filter than it did butted right up against the filter frame ( I just had to try it out before I mounted everything permanent, I'm anal that way) but, what do I know? That's why I ask all these questions, eh?<O</O<O</O
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just curious, why did you put two filters after the blower, seems it'd work better catching as much dust as you could before the blower?
    Ya'd think the blower would stay cleaner that way too?

Al

14. Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter
    Interesting/conflicting filter specs?:

"Up to 45 times more effective than spun glass on sub micron sized particles."

"Captures particles as small as 1 micron"
    I've seen some detailed test results of filter testing, and usually they list the percentage (by weight) of particles a certain size trapped by the filter at various times ... when clean, when airflow has diminished 25%, etc. So you can get some marketing claims that are "true" but really don't matter ... and I suspect that sub micron rating is in that category.

The second statement, that it captures particles "as small as 1 micron" could be true even if just a single, micon-sized particle was trapped by the filter.

The marketing statements really don't mean anything. I think there are ASHRAE or other independent test ratings designed by engineers that are better guidelines for comparing two filters.

Just wondering if I asked an improper question or????

Al