Thread: Ashely Iles Gloat

Ashely Iles Gloat

Last week during a discussion where someone asked about chisels, I made the remark that maybe I should sell my "antique" chisels and my blue chips and get 1 set of good chisels instead of trying to find the rest of the oldies to complete that set. After thinking about it for a little bit, I decided that I should try, and had both sets sold the next day. So I ordered the Ashley Iles bench chisels from Tools For Working Wood on Wednesday and Fedex delivered them Friday after I was gone for the weekend. Got them unboxed and ready to go this evening. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. They didn't quite "come from the factory with a edge which can be used as is" as was described--some actually had some chipping on the edges, but I was able to quickly flatten the backs of all 8 chisels with a diamond stone and waterstones and then sharpen with my Tormek in about 1-1/2 hours which isn't too bad. I bought 1/8" thru 1" sizes. After sharpening, I played around with some soft maple and they cut beautifully. They are also very easy on the hands and eyes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt,

That's a nice score! I have that same set and am also pleased as the steel does hold a good edge.

I only wish the handles were a little less "clunky".......although they are very durable! Maybe I will get the "butt" variety some day.

I think they're a very good buy for a set...$130 ish...??

PS - Hey...didn't I spur you on to sell those old chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    PS - Hey...didn't I spur you on to sell those old chisels
    Yep. And thank you!

I paid just about $180, but added the "missing" chisels to one of the 6 piece sets. to get all 8 sizes up to 1". I'm thinking about getting a small set of the Crown butt chisels this summer, but next I'm thinking about the Adria dovetail saw. Its on backorder at Hartville though so I have a little time to convince LOML.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-26-2006 at 9:32 PM.

Matt,

I'm jealous.... I have had my eyes on those for several months now. After seeing your pictures, you have just about pushed me over the edge. I am doing my best to hold off until I can decide on the Tormek first.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Yep. And thank you!

I paid just about $180, but added the "missing" chisels to one of the 6 piece sets. to get all 8 sizes up to 1". I'm thinking about getting a small set of the Crown butt chisels this summer, but next I'm thinking about the Adria dovetail saw. Its on backorder at Hartville though so I have a little time to convince LOML.
    You are correct.....I got the narrow set of 6 for the $130........

A good DT saw is a good thing to have

Joel also sells the Adria dovetail saw...that's where I got mine. He also sells the shorter (butt) version of the AIs if you like what you have now.

'Glad you like the chisels, Matt!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a bunch of Ashley Iles carving tools, and I can't say enough good things about them. If I didn't already have about 20 bench chisles of various types (Marples, Japanese, etc. ) I would definitely look at them for that category too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    ....I'm thinking about getting a small set of the Crown butt chisels this summer,.....
    Matt,

Hmmm.... I have a set of the Crown butt chisels. Very nice and very handy for tight work and small trimming jobs. They will take a really nice, sharp edge, but the edge retention leaves something to be desired. It's not bad, but it's not a "last all day" edge, either. I usually end up re-honing them a minimum of once or twice during a day of more or less "continuous" usage. I also have some other Crown chisels (crank necks and skews): same deal on the sharpness and -- unfortunately -- the edge retention, too.

Just something to consider before you lay out the money for them.

James