Thread: Wood Haul!!

Wood Haul!!

Sure had a good day today. Right before our scheduled BBQ with a couple of friends, I ran out to score some wood at a very good price about 15 minutes from the house. Going to go back next week to get more of the slabs.

I am gearing up for a new venture in rustic furniture. I plan to make the legset for this table very interesting using another slab (I think).

Now should I make the table a sofa or cofffee table with this slab?

Some of the Cedar gets to become a new blanket chest for the wife. Looks like I need a planer and a dovetail jog pretty soon! Been a dang good ww'ing day!

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/WoodHaul1.html

Nice gloat there Kelly,be sure to post your projects when you complete them!

Corey

Great score Kelly! What's Pecan like to work with?

I believe Pecan is also known as Hickory.
    Ouch that splinter hurt

Pecan vs Hickory

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Davidson
    Great score Kelly! What's Pecan like to work with?
    Pecan is not as dense as Hickory and the color is slightly darker and more uniform typically. Pecan is allowed to be sold as Hickory according to National Hardwood Lumber Association guideleines, but they are very different woods.

Being from Texas, Pecan is much preferred wood of choice between the two :-)

Hickory is stout strong wood. Though both of these woods are related closely, there is a big difference between them in looks and properties.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Pecan is a very hard wood...not quite as hard as Hickory as Mike said, but it's still hard on blades and bits. I'm not going to do much with this piece as it shoule remain natural in shape. I will run the router around it though to soften the edges. The next piece which will be used for the legset will have to be milled to another shape.

You can bet I'll be posting photos...hopefully before too long!

I can't wait to go back and get more pieces and start the table.

According to the late Jon Arno, in Texas (well, maybe across the south)the Pecan is purebred, and up north the Hickory is purebred, but they are closely enough related that in most of the center of the country, the cousins intermarried, and it apparently takes a real expert with a microscope to classify a lot of the mid-country wood. He speculated that was part of the reason why the two types were combined by the National Hardwood group.

Of course, Mike Mastin is one of those experts