Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DW735 Planer Problems Fixed?

DW735 Planer Problems Fixed?

On the reccomendations of many people, I purchased the Dewalt 13" thickness planer (reconditioned) knowing full well of all the initial production issues they've had with the linkage and power rollers.

My question is: have they resolved them?

I also have been following the threads relating to the high cost of knife replacement and Infinty's replacement knives. Just for information, I was paging through a Grizzly calalog this weekend and noticed that they sell DW replacement knives for $45.

Linkage problems on Dewalt 735

I have owned the Dewalt 735 for about a year and half and bought it thinking the linkage problem was fixed also. Last week the planer had trouble "pulling" a board through. The board would stop moving part way through the cut. I cleaned the roller and that helped some, but still has problems. I went to the woodworking show this weekend and talked to a service rep. All Dewalt 735 planers with a serial # below 200440 need to be serviced. He said take it in and they will replace the bushsings, sprocket, linkage, etc. Mine is #200416. Bummer, I can't do much woodworking without my planer.

Hi Robert:

I purchased a new, not reconditioned, 735 from Amazon. A sprocket on the roller feed mechanism did break and DeWalt sent me a new sprocket. I have rotated the initial blades after much use and a small chip so I am still on the original blades. I did order a new set of blades from Amazon for about the same price you quoted and have them hanging on standby.

I like this planer and am satisfied.

Take care,
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D Johnson
    I have owned the Dewalt 735 for about a year and half and bought it thinking the linkage problem was fixed also. Last week the planer had trouble "pulling" a board through. The board would stop moving part way through the cut. I cleaned the roller and that helped some, but still has problems. I went to the woodworking show this weekend and talked to a service rep. All Dewalt 735 planers with a serial # below 200440 need to be serviced. He said take it in and they will replace the bushsings, sprocket, linkage, etc. Mine is #200416. Bummer, I can't do much woodworking without my planer.
    I experienced these same symptoms last week and I feared the worst. After cleaning rollers, etc., I finally concluded that maybe the blades were so dull the board couldn't move forward at the rate the rollers were trying to feed it. Changed blades, problem solved.

I had the same thought

I thought about changing my blades also as they are the original set since I bought it.

Should I just do a preventative strike and complain to Dewalt about the linkage, blades and rollers so that I have the parts on hand when they break?

just got a recon

I just got a recon 735 for $364. Works great so for!!
    It looks brand new and I can't even find a scratch. The height adjustment handle has some play. Anyone know a fix for that?
    Anyone know if the reconditioned machines are checked over for the sprocket problems.....even if they weren't broken....just returns maybe? Hope I have the later serial #.
    Gregg Feldstone

How/where do we contact DeWalt for the 735 service parts?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    How/where do we contact DeWalt for the 735 service parts?
    Seems easier to replace the parts ourselves if it's not too much trouble. I just checked my serial no. 200436 I missed the good ones by 4?

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle
    Seems easier to replace the parts ourselves if it's not too much trouble. I just checked my serial no. 200436 I missed the good ones by 4?
    I think it means you're in good shape. No parts required.
    And you're right, I will get the parts from them and replace them myself. The sucker weighs 92 pounds!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thanks Scott, I'll be checking my Serial# today!

My serial # is 200616. Just bought it a few days ago. Whew (I hope).

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

My # is 200438. damn!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    I think it means you're in good shape. No parts required.
    And you're right, I will get the parts from them and replace them myself. The sucker weighs 92 pounds!
    Sorry, doesn't serial no. 200436 mean I have a bad one?

I have 200401 that was a reconditioned machine from ToolKing last year. It has an R branded by the serial number and a green sticker with a check mark on it. Does anyone know if the new parts were put in this one or what. Have not used it enough to run into troubles yet.

James, It looks to me like that you have one of the ones that needs service according to the information on the serial numbers.