Thread: Help me decide....

Help me decide....

Last week I received my annual bonus. My wife asked me what I was going buy myself so I guess I have permission.

So here’s the dilemma, I can’t decide what to get. My short list is:
    <O</O
    1. Upgrade dust collector to a 2 hp Super Gorilla. I currently have a Jet 1100 with a custom 1 micron AFF top bag. It is hooked into a small duct system about 25 feet total run that helped me design a few years ago. The Jet works ok but I have a fair amount of fine dust that I’d like to get rid of. Plus, I’d like to build an overarm guard for the table saw and I’m not sure the Jet will have the CFM to make a great deal of difference. I’d sell the Jet system to offset the cost of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG] /><st1:City w:st=[/IMG]Oneida</ST1[IMG] /><st1:City w:st=[/IMG]<ST1Oneida</st1:City>.

2. Upgrade my Delta contractors saw. It’s a very nice contractors saw, 30” B-meyer fence and cast iron wing and a Delta/B-meyer extension table with a Delta mobile base. The saw that I’d love to get is the General 650. That is much more saw than I’ll ever need so my second choice is the Bridgewood 10” cabinet saw. The only downside of the Bridgewood is that it is made in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1Taiwan</st1:country-region>. Again I’d sell the contractors saw to offset the cost of the cabinet saw.

<O</O
    3. Upgrade my Bridgewood 6” jointer. An 8” jointer would be great. I’d probably go with either a Bridgewood 8” or maybe a DJ20. Since a lot of the work I do are tables, doors and bookshelves having 2 more inches would be nice for the panel pieces.

<O</O
    So I need some help deciding. I figured all of you fellow Creekers are good at buying tools!

Thanks, Mike

Quite a dilemma. All things being unequal I would go with upgrading the DC system. Larger ducts and machine, if possible. It sounds like you have a great TS now. If you upgrade the TS or the Joiner you will need to do something with the DC anyway. Just my .02 worth.
    Good luck. You can also sell the current DC system or if space allows keep it for a dedicated machine.
    Bob Nazro
    A Connecticut Yankee
    I've measured this three times and each time I cut it, it's still to short...

My vote is for #1 and #2........is that acceptable ???

Just eat Ramen Noodle soup and PB &J sandwiches for lunch for about 6 months and you've covered your extra costs............

You want an overarm guard for the TS....but don't make it if you're getting a new TS...

Will the Cabinet TS go in the same place as the contractors...what about 220v?

This is easy. Get the Super Gorilla first, then sell the Jet 1100 and the contractors saw, then the get the Bridgewood. See how easy.

(Don't tell the wife about the probable need to upgrade the ducting, unless you already have 6" ducts)

Chris

If the TS is good, then go for the gorilla and over-arm collector. Don't dismiss the health value of cleaning the air with a good filter and strong suction.

Since you seem to be fairly happy with the table saw replace the DC & sell the 1100 DC & the jointer & replace the jointer.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

For me it would be a "no brainer". Our health is most important, so I would purchase the new dust collector and build the overarm guard.

So far you guys are comfirming my gut feeling with the DC upgrade. Although the TS or jointer would be more fun.

Roy - 220 is not an issue. I do my own electric and have open slots in the subpanel that is in the shop. The cabinet saw would essentially be in the same place. I don't mind eating Ramen Noodles but my wife woul dget a little tired. One of my sons would think PBJs are a treat to have them for lunch AND dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay

Roy - 220 is not an issue. I do my own electric and have open slots in the subpanel that is in the shop. The cabinet saw would essentially be in the same place. I don't mind eating Ramen Noodles but my wife woul dget a little tired. One of my sons would think PBJs are a treat to have them for lunch AND dinner!

BTW - I have the 2hp super gorilla and am very pleased. It really is your first choice!! Good luck!

Roy - just curious, what did you have before the Dust Gorilla?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Roy - just curious, what did you have before the Dust Gorilla?
    Sorry Mike....my Internet went down.....I also lost this reply!! here goes:

I had no DC at all.......the good threads & folks here at SMC got me looking into a cyclone....long story short - I ended up with the 2hp super gorilla. It easily handles an overarm DC gate and the TS lower cabinet also. I run a 6" line to the TS and then split a 4" flex hose to the blade; a 5" flex to the bottom cabinet port.

I basicallly bought my cabinet saw and the cyclone at the same time.

Before that was a Sears contractor TS that was rolled out to the driveway for DC .

Part of the selling point to your wife on the cabinet saw is it does offer much better DC than the contractors saw you currently have. But seriously, if you're happy with your current TS you can "box it up" pretty well to get the dust under control with the Oneida. Along with the blade DC, you will get virtually NO dust on your cuts...except maybe during the trailing edge of your stock.

The key is to run 6" duct to all your tools and then choke down as close as possible to the tool/machine. Dennis Peacock gave me that advice and it is correct!

So, are you still confused?

I still say get the 10" Oliver Jointer. It's only a couple hundred more than the DJ20! And throw in the DC just for fun!

You forgot to give all the details so I know there is more money there!

-Alden

Alden -

If I get the Oliver will you help me with moving into the basement shop???

when your wife said...

what are you going to buy? She meant diamonds or gold not dust collection or table saw.

Dave

Go with a new DC. If you really feel the need to upgrade the jointer to 8" why not consider a less expensive one (e.g a Grizzly G0490); the savings will be considerable and you can put that towards the DC ductwork, or spring for a new TS.