Thread: Dust Collector Design

Dust Collector Design

Yesterday, I started running 4" sewer pipe around the rafters in my basement workshop. I stopped once I realized I really don't yet have a plan. I plumbed for a hood behind the lathe, but need a way to easily clean up in front of the lathe. I'm thinking maybe I could put another branch and blast gate where the line to the lathe is and adapt this one to connect to the tubing and tools on my Shopvac. That way, I could simply vacuum up the stuff on the floor in front of the lathe. Another thought is to put some sort of quick disconnect (and gate) on the line overhead and then connect the vacuum cleaner hose there when needed. That way, I'd not have so many hoses hanging around all the time (the vacuum cleaner hose could be stored till it was needed).
    Does anyone have any insight on solving this problem?
    Thanks,
    Joe

Joe - When I built my shop, I intentionally included a floor sweep near the lathe so I could just sweep shavings into it and be done.

Big Mistake!

#1 - Shavings fill my 55 gallon drum too fast and emptying it can be a burdensome chore.

#2 - #1 only applies if the shavings don't clog up the ductwork first - something they will inevitably do. Again and again and again.

#3 - I've since learned that (for me anyway) the most efficient shavings collection system is a broom, a grain shovel, a big garbage can, and garbage can liners.

#4 - A dust collection hood rigged to your DC system makes good sense for all sanding done at the lathe.
    Only the Blue Roads

Thanks, Andy. I didn't even consider the weight aspect. I suppose the shavings stick to the tubing cuz they're wet, too, and I didn't think about that, either. Wonder how many things I don't think about every day. Now, that's something to mull over!
    Joe

I would be nice if you could get the truck close enough to the lathe --- a #10 coal shovel works great. You could just fill the truck bed up. The best I came up with is trash cans with wheels. On a good turing day you can fill a couple of them up.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Stick with mines, just one small bucket a month.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A floor sweep should never be used unless you are using a two-stage DC system, such as a cyclone or at least a pre-separator if using single stage system. You do not want any material picked up from the floor flowing through a blower as any metal picked up that hits the impeller could spark.

That safety note noted... ...I couldn't live without my floor sweeps (I have two...one on each end of the shop), especially for picking up the mounds of stuff created at the lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This raises another question: What do you guys do with the shavings and sawdust? Mulch, trash?
    Joe