Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan
    I have gone from looking at a mini lathe to ordering the new Grizzly G0456 to canceling the order (due to reading posts) to ordering the PM3520B today.
    Welcome to the group.

But if you really are a beginner, don't you think you ought to loan the PM3520 to someone more experienced to break it in...check it out? You wouldn't give a new driver a porche, would you? Or a big BMW, or... you know. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would be glad to check out that lathe and store it for you until you get a few years experience.

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the wild and crazy. What else did you order to play that big fiddle with??

Just plug her in and have a ball. Slowly

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome Pete, join the rest of us newbie's and of course the one and only Andy. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Pete,

Welcome to the Creek. If your head is already spinning, you're gonna' fit right in with this crowd.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Thanks for the Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    Hi Pete,

Welcome to the wild and crazy. What else did you order to play that big fiddle with??

Just plug her in and have a ball. Slowly

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Thank you all for being so kind!

I did call Oneway before ordering the PM. I asked them if they had any 2436s laying around they wanted to get rid of cheap. After they were done laughing at me they let me exchange my adapter for the Stronghold chuck I have received already. Along with the chuck I purchased: the Jumbo jaws and the #1 and #2 jaws, the Wolverine sharpening system with skew and varigrind jigs, the Sorby 6 tool set, Bill Grumbie DVD along with three Richard Raffin DVDS and two of his books and a few other books.
    Hey! This is starting to add up!
    I forgot the add the 8" grinder from Woodcraft.

Pete

welcome pete!
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Welcome to the Creek Pete and Congrats on the new lathe.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan
    Thank you all for being so kind!

I did call Oneway before ordering the PM. I asked them if they had any 2436s laying around they wanted to get rid of cheap. After they were done laughing at me they let me exchange my adapter for the Stronghold chuck I have received already. Along with the chuck I purchased: the Jumbo jaws and the #1 and #2 jaws, the Wolverine sharpening system with skew and varigrind jigs, the Sorby 6 tool set, Bill Grumbie DVD along with three Richard Raffin DVDS and two of his books and a few other books.
    Hey! This is starting to add up!
    I forgot the add the 8" grinder from Woodcraft.

Pete
    Holy smokes, Pete!!! You apparently didn't just kind of "fall" into the vortex, nor even "pulled" into it! I'm thinking you had turbo-boosters strapped to your back and point dead center into this wonderful hole we call "Turning"!!! Man, you got yourself some setup going there! Welcome. Welcome to the world of turning but, even more so, welcome to SMC, which is almost a vortex unto itself!!! Oh yeah: Two more things. 1) These guys are real, real serious about the pics!!! 2) What Andy and some of the others seem to forget is, "mustard yellow" is not only relegated to PM!!! My Vega 2400 happens to bear a striking resemblance to the same color, albeit leaning more toward the "mustard" than the "yellow"!!! Have fun with your new tools and have phun here at the Creek, as well!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Howdy

Welcome Pete-have fun with the Mustard Machine. And if White is Right, my Jet 1642 (powermatic cousin) should be acceptable to a certian un-named turner on this board .

Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Pete - Don't listen to John. His ChevyVegaThingamabob latherizer is just a fig newton of his twisted imagination. He admitted to me once that the plug got pulled out from the wall by accident and hasn't figured out how to put it back in yet. So, its now in his living room serving in a new capacity as a potted plant stand.

Don - I like White Iron - in all variants.
    Only the Blue Roads

Pete...How come you didn't start off this message with... After I won the Lottery...
    Just remember the old saying...
    He who dies with the most tools...is just dead.
    Welcome to this crazy place of spinny things.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Pete you are off to a great start by showing such good judgement in buying the right color lathe.
    If there is anything we can do to help you spend even more of your hard earned money just shout.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Pete it sounds as if you did the right thing by getting a good piece of equipment to start with. Welcome and I will be looking forward to seeing your work.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"