Thread: Question for Nova DVR owners

Question for Nova DVR owners

I need to replace my tired, beat up, abused Ridgid lathe and I'm really liking what I've seen and read about the Nova DVR. I especially like the fact that it runs on 115v normal household electricity. I've read all Teknatools propaganda but I'd like to hear from some actual owners about what they think of the lathe.

Three questions come to mind...

1. Does it have a hollow spindle in the headstock?

2. I finish on the lathe a lot and wonder if getting a little (lot) of lacquer, oil, etc. on the fancy hi-tech motor and controls would cause problems.

3. Are there any features that you're disappointed in? Things that would make you choose a different lathe if you had it to do over again.

Any other comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Curt

Like mine very much, especially the rotating head - shop space is VERY limited with all the other tools.

I worry about the durability of the push buttons, but no sign of problem. The jump to preset speeds requires two buttons at once, like the control key on a PC

When I am finishing, if I build static (e.g when I run the Buell stuff on the lathe), then a grounding spark to anywhere on the lathe is like pressing stop. I don't spray when I finish on the lathe, so have cleaned drips off the bed, but nothing off the head.

I get tired of the tunes it plays for start, stop, etc., but that is minor.

It does have a hollow headstock spindle, and for something like $25 you can get the bearing gimmick that gives you vacuum chucking.

I got two more extension beds. The downside, if you put the steel dowels in, you can't get them out. So I used the extensions without the dowels for the 6 five-foot spindles that I wanted to turn without a joint, then took the extensions back off for storage.

I use the curved bowl tool rest a lot, but rarely use the outboard toolrest - would probably wait to see if I needed it before spending the bucks.

Bottom line - very pleased with the choice.

Charlie

Hi Curt,

I have a DVR going on 2 yrs. now. It has done all I have asked from it. From 1/4" mines to 30" out-board turnings. I do have it wired in the 240v mode.

As for #1 - Yes

As for #2 - Well I might say No. However if you were to cover the controls during finishing, if the lathe is in rotation and or if you are spraying, I don't see a prob. However that is up to be cautious.

As for #3 - none at all. Now some folks balk at the locking levers - handles, from what I have seen, Nova has maid them somewhat larger. I have never had a prob. with them. Some times I wonder how tight some folks think things have to be.

If I were to ever get another lathe, which I doubt, the one I like is in the 8k range plus accessories. I'm still trying to hit the lottery.

Hope this helps some, I think you will more than enjoy one.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Curt,

I bought one a month ago and thoroughly LOVE it! Plenty of power, nice and quite, and a real joy to turn with.

I am sure you are aware, but if you can find a Woodcraft anywhere nearby that still has one of the 3000 DVRs in stock, you can probably get a good deal. Just go in a remind them that the DVR XP is out and they need to make room for it and that you are ready to take the OLD machine off their hands. I did this and got mine for $1,500 with the stand and an extra bed extension. You might mention this to the manager as well. The local store was not really interested in dealing at first but I told him that a fellow in Colorado bought one for $1,399 (this is true, BTW) and he countered at $1,500. I thought I got a good deal, especially when he told me to take the stand and extension also!

I can honestly say there is nothing I would change on this lathe and would buy another one in a heartbeat.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Curt,
    I"ve only had mine for a month and I'm very new to turning. So...take this for what it's worth.

I bought mine because it fit into my basement shop and seemed to have all the power I needed for what I intend to do. I got to see it before but once I got it I was more impressed. It gets to and operates very smoothly at all speeds.

To answer your questions...
    1. Yes.
    2. I can't see where there is any reason to be concerned at all. The fancy motor is the headstock and the controls are very well sealed. This machine is very well designed for turning...and doesn't everyone finish on the lathe? I'd say...no need to worry.
    3. I didn't like the handle on the tool rest adjustment...so I changed it. If you buy one...PM your address...and I'll send you one. It's tradition.
    Otherwise...the little I've used it...I can't find anything else I'd like. I'm sure I will though.

As a side note...I spent a day with a local pro last weekend. He couldn't stop talking about how great he thought the DVR was...he owns a big PM...a small travel one...and now a DVR...and he loves it
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 03-01-2006 at 6:58 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Curt all your questions have been answered by the others so all I can tell ya is that I love mine and there is nothing that would make me change my mind on it.

It is a wonderful lathe and does everything I need of it.

Good luck
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

7. You might check with tim giest US rep he has several older ones with the xp
    boards selling them with chuck for aprox $1800

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    3. I didn't like the handle on the tool rest adjustment...so I changed it. If you buy one...PM your address...and I'll send you one. It's tradition.
    I love it, Glenn! When I got my DVR, someone sent me the handles as a gift. I decided to "pay it forward" and sent a set to Harry Pye for his DVR. He did likewise and before we know it a tradition is born! Wonder why in the world Teknatool doesn't just go ahead and put an adjustable handle on the tool rest???

Curt, regarding the controls, I would not subject the panel itself to a lot of finishing material. I think in the long run it might damage the flexibility of the touch pad. You could cover it with a layer of Saran Wrap or something. There is nothing about my DVR I can't live with, but some things I would recommend if you get one. Put some blocks under the bed when you set it up. Otherwise there is not enough room to clear the shavings. I would also recommend you get one of those MT#2 gadgets that aligns the headstock and tailstock. They are not much and well worth it. Sometimes the 0 head rotation stop is a hair off and if so, and even a half a hair can make a noticable difference when turning between centers. You also need a good surge protector (same kind you would use for a computer.) If you don't use a surge protector and a surge ruins your circuit board, the warranty is void (if you tell them you didn't use one! .) Overall, it is a great lathe. The feature I like the most is the swivel headstock. Sooo much more comfortable not to have to lean out over the bed when hollowing!

Curt: I've had mine a couple months. I intend to get a heftier toolrest at some point. Other than that, I'm very happy with the lathe: Good power, capacity, doesn't require 220v and has a compact design. For the money, I don't think you can beat it.
    Ed

Thanks for all the good info. Hardly a harsh word spoken. That's a pretty good product endorsement to me.

Hi Curt,

Cant really say anything bad about something that's good.

I did not add a note to your question on finishing on the lathe. I think I would not elect to use any type of spray finishing activities while the work is on the lathe, or maybe I should say in operation. Unless the drive is well protected against the possibility of any over spray entering the cooling vents. I wouldn't think the mixture of accumulated dust and the mist from spray lacquer will be well received by the internal computer components.

Just some room for thought,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>