Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd Bowl Finished

Great bowl Bernie, Your wright it looks like the botton did turn out good.

Great bowl Bernie! Andy, look it is already choclate and vanilla. Love the finish, makes you want to hold it. Thanks

Ordinarily, I suppose that this vessel might possibly be best utilized as a container for a scoop or three of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. However, upon reflection I find that Mrs. Weishapl is correct. The way the lip is formed it makes it awkward to dredge up those precious last few melted puddles of ecstasy; but that same deficiency has an upside that allows one to properly and safely clutch a handful of candy and maintain positive control over said handful as your fingers depart contact with the sidewalls.

Therefore, in my humble estimation, I deem this vessel up to the challenge of proper presentation of M&M Peanuts, Chuckles, Dots, or Goobers. A slightly less steep sidewall would have made this one perfect for Necco Wafers - but hey! Bernie's new at this - he'll learn.

Oh yeah - Nice bowl Bernie!!
    Only the Blue Roads

Thanks again for all the nice comments. As I said this wood was hard but it was well worth the effort. I appreciate it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Now Bernie that is a beartiful bowl. Good looking shape, wood, and finish.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Thats a great looking bowl. I really like the look of that wood. Walnut is a favorite of mine. I guess because that was the very first wood I ever turned. Neighbor gave me a couple sticks of 2 x 2 x36 to practice on. I like the way it turns and finishes. Nice work. Keep 'em comin'.

Sweet!

Bernie, if that is only your 3rd bowl you are well on your way to great fun in turning. Great shape, wood, finish-everything. Love the sapwood too.
    Super job all around !

Bernie, congrats on the third bowl, I think that you are coming along great. I like the form of the bowl but I am concerned about the friction polish that you put on it. When I first started turning I used the friction polish on all of my small projects becasue it gave me a quick shine to my finished. I later found out that the finish does not last in this area, it seems to loose it's luster after a few days. I know that you live in the same climate that I do so I hope you have better success with it than I did. I now finish all of my project by sealing them with a 50/50 mixture of Lacquer sanding sealer and Lacquer thinner. On small items I then use a padding Lacquer named Qualasol applied with a paper towl and spun like the friction polish. The hotter you get this product the higher the luster you will have with it. For larger items I finish them using any other normal finish like wax, oils, Lacquers and ect. I hope this helps you and keep up the good work.

Ron I put a about 3 coats of lacquer on them a day or two after I finish them. So far it seems to be holding up well. I am going to try some BLO with lacquer and see what it looks like. Just experimenting now. There is just something about the Deft Lacquer that I like. When I start making the salad bowls and other bowls I am going to try a some different finishes on them so they can be used for eating.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow Bernie, I find it hard to believe this is only your third bowl ! I think you are a natural for this spinny stuff . Nice form and finish
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Super..........................Super.............. ..................Super. Nuff Said!

Bruce

Bernie: You nailed it!!

Wow Bernie!! Nice bowl. I like the rolled lip. You are really coming along fast.

Ernie