Thread: Morris Chair Design Question

Morris Chair Design Question

Hi,

I have a question for experienced chair makers. I have 5 Morris chair plans that I am working from as I build the pair I have in the shop now. I have borrowed elements from the 5 plans; it seems to be a great way to get the best of all the designs.

One design feature still has me stumped though, it’s a matter of comfort. The chairs back cross slats on most of these designs are flat, but the Norm NYW and the American Furniture Design plan both use curved slats. What to do, what to do.

The flat slats seem to be a much easier design to make, the curved ones just complicate the effort required. For those who know this, do the curved backs add to the comfort factor over the flat ones enough to warrant making curved slats? The cushions are about 4 inches thick…..but would the design be better over all going curved over flat, or would I even notice?

Take care,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
    do the curved backs add to the comfort factor over the flat ones enough to warrant making curved slats? The cushions are about 4 inches thick…..but would the design be better over all going curved over flat, or would I even notice?
    I've made both, and actually find the flat back to be better. The 4" thick cushions don't conform to a curved back unless someone is sitting in the chair and pressing them back, and even then, there's no noticeable difference in comfort. The foam is thick enough to cushion and conform to the sitter's back, and makes a perfectly comfortable 'sit.'

The perfect Chair

Hi Jim,

Your chair has long been the one in my mind, I have a copy of it as inspiration for the design.

I appreciate your input.

Take care,
    Jim

Jim,
    I can't speak to building them because I haven't got a round to it yet. But I can speak to testing them and filing away thoughts for my design. The curved backs have been crossed off the list. I really have not found them to be more comfortable.

Now...to bow or not to bow the arms is my big question.

L & J G Stickley Bow Arm Morris

Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Hey Jim...I'm with the group...with the thick cushion I don't think you'd notice a difference. Also something about the straight back that just looks 'righter'.

KC

Since you are working on the chairs, does that mean you finished the workbench?

Rob
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Now...to bow or not to bow the arms is my big question.
    I'm a big fan of the flat arms with the 'kickdown' at the front.

The 'kick' is actually level, and I suppose if you didn't use the crowned through tenon on the front leg, you could actually use it to hold your glass, coffee cup, or in Ken's case, a Bud Lite.

Mine all have the tenon, though - tradition, you know...

8. Flat Slats are the way to go

I built the Morris chair from plans in an issue of Woodsmith (Vol 26 No. 155) It had a flat slat back, angled arms and side spindles. With as thick as the cushions are there is no disconfort from the slats. See attached pics. This was my first significant piece of furniture, and it turned out well. The only problem I have is deciding what type of seating. The plans cal for elastic straps, but I though the cushion sank too low (unless the density of my cushion is too low). I put a solid piece in for the seat but now it seems too hard (Goldilocks would've loved this progression). I am going to try some really high density cushion material and see waht that gives me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
    Hi,

I have a question for experienced chair makers. I have 5 Morris chair plans that I am working from as I build the pair I have in the shop now. I have borrowed elements from the 5 plans; it seems to be a great way to get the best of all the designs.
    Jim
    Hi Jim

Can't help you with the back design, but I too am "planning" on building a Morris Chair and am having problems finding a plan I like. I have seen the bent arms (but have no experience bending wood) and the 'kicked' front. I haven't yet decided which to use.

I am thinking of drawing my own plans using all of the features I like best, but thought I would ask if you have any of your 5 plans in DWG or PDF (or JPG or other computer files) and if you would be interested in sending a copy to another first time Morris Chair builder?

Thanks and good luck on your chair! We'll be expecting pic's....

I own a Stickley striaght arm morris chair. The slats are bowed on it. My wife hates the chair because when I sit in it I fall asleep. It is the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in. and a beutiful piece of furniture to boot. I will build a bent arm morris chair one of these years when I don't have to work like a dog. Till then I will just have to sleep in what I have.

good luck

Alan

I restored a Morris chair a few years ago with flat slats. When I took the padded back to an upholsterer, he suggested making a padded back that had a gentle S curve in the front surface of the pad. It was a great idea. It is the most comfortable chair in the house.

Wow, A While AGo

Hi,

Well I was suprised to see this post pop back up to the top of the list yesterday. I finished my pair of Morris Chairs about 3 years ago now. They are both a pleasure to sit in and fall alseep in.

This is my family room, I have the cherry version here, the white oak version is in my basement rec room.

I have a link here to the Shop Shot at WC here, I think it's okay to cross link this here.

http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot688.shtml

I have a Prairie Settle in works right now for the family room, same figured cherry and flame birch look.
    Last edited by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont; 01-05-2007 at 12:07 PM.
    Take care,
    Jim

Jim- thanks for posting the follow-up pics! You might have heard the "ooooo" that escaped when I saw the shot of your cherry chair along with your cherry EC and coffered ceiling! Very rich and warm! Nice photography, too!

I remember the thread on WC about the discussion on the miter lock joints- that's a great way to preserve the flowing grain.

Again, outstanding work--- that's for sharing! Very inspiring.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers