Thread: Staining over stain?

Staining over stain?

I have not been able to do a speck of woodworking since my son was born. All I am left with for the time being is day dreaming, plotting, and scheming. That leads me to my dilemma.

We like our kitchen ok but feel the previous owner had some taste issues. He liked pink tile, pale oak, and stainless steel. While all those things have their place, we feel its not in the same room.

What I plan on doing is replacing the tile backsplashes, replacing the countertops, and (here's where the finishing question comes in), darkening the cabinets.

I will have limited time and even more limited help to get this project done. It will be attempted during my week long "vacation" this summer and I'll likely have some babysitting duties along the way. I know the right thing to do would be to painstakingly sand off the finish on the cabinets and restain. This is also the long thing to do.

What I'm hoping is that I can use a gel stain to darken the cabinets after just a good cleaning. Is this possible? Its not our dream but replacing cabinets is not in the budget.

I'm not sure of the finish on the cabinets currently but it does not seem to be a stain. It almost seems like a white wash or glaze.

Here's what I'm hoping to get the kitchen to:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Tom
    That which does not kill me will probably still leave a mark.

www.tomandjaime.com/wood_blog

tom, try your local sherwin williams paint store and enquire about lacquer stain. most likely your cabinets where finished with nitro and the sherwin stuff will melt in.. be sure to remove all oil/greese/old english ect. before proceeding.. 02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Tod, thanks. Two questions, what is nitro? And if I bring in a piece of the finished wood, do you think they would be able to figure out what the finish is?

Thanks again.

Tom

tom, nitro is nitrocellouse lacquer, what the vast majority of kitchen cabinet makers/installers use. and yes sherwin or you can tell if it`s lacquer by moistening a rag with lacquer thinner and rub an out of sight spot, lacquer will soften immediately..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Great. Thanks a lot Tod!

Tom

Agree, however...

...if it is not lacquer, ask what options you have using a tinted, transparent product. Only a real paint store will give you the proper information. Did you doctor your photo in Photoshop?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I also agree with a tinted finish. Lightly sand, finish.
    And yes. Do get rid of the pink [Steve, shuddering] Lol
    I'm Doing a remodel now that has pink counter tops. Whoooeeeeeeeee! They will be leaf brown when I get done.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Phil, yes I touched it up in Photoshop. I've done that with a lot of things in the house. Its been a real help because you can see how colors and changes will look before you drop the coin on the paint or stain.

Steve, I couldn't agree more. Apparently the previous owner was a bit handicapped in the taste department. The house was littered with unframed, beveled glass, mirrors. The whole first floor was seafoam green and the kitchen actually has very dark, hand-hewn, beams in the ceiling but pale cabinets. The pink tile countertops are probably the most offensive thing in the house though.

You should be able to make up a glaze to go over the current finish. Even a darker shellac like Kusmi will darken it up a fair bit. Try it on scrap.