Thread: Display Table

Display Table

I thought I wuold put up a couple of pictures of a display table that I made for an auction thta is held as a fund raiser every 2 years. The nParent's association spend 2 years collecting items and every thing imaginable to auction off and raise funds for capital projects at our school. I usually volunteer to make something to be auctioned off. This year I had decided to make this display table. The legs, aprons and top frame are from african mahogany. The veneer top panel is a 4 way bookmatch of Pau Amarillo bordered with an ebony inlay. I am usually an "oil finish" kind of guy, but decided to attempt to use lacquer on this project. In the process I learned numerous things. 1) always find a grain filler that is appropriate and use it before beginng to build a high gloss, smooth finish I initially could not find a clear grain filler and did not want to use a filler that would muddy the veneer so I ended up putting way too many coats of lacquer to get to the end result.
    2) I like the quick dry time of lacquer(although I negated it by needing to put on so many coats 3) I do not like dealing with the "smell/respiratory factor" of lacquer. The smell lingers forever.
    I have since found some "lacquer like" water based products that I intend to try and see if they have the good qualities without the smell factor. I have also found a clear grain filler to use on the next veneer panel that needs filling.
    Give me your likes and dislikes on the table. This was my first attempt at legs with curves on all 4 sides. They turned out OK even though it took forever. After doing these, I figure I could probably speed up that process next time.

Thanks for looking,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple of more pics of display table

Display table pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim,

The curve of the apron is beautiful. As is the inlaid ebony strip and perfect mitering at the corners of the strips. Great contrast with that yellow top!

Someone will be very happy with your new piece of furniture. That's also very generous of you to donate such a nice piece - I'm sure you put a lot of loving care and time into it. It shows.

I had the same unfortunate experience with my first spray lacquer this year on 3 tables that I built. Only maybe worse - the smell is awful and I had no spray rig. Did it with cans of Deft - maybe 20 cans at $5 each...LOL...Not the smartest thing I ever did, but ya' know, I just had to keep going back to the store for more cans. I thought it might take 5 and it took 20!

Anyone with any luck with the water-based sprays, my wife says I have to listen! I sprayed in the shop and the smell permeated the entire upstairs. I had to take her and our dogs out for the evening just to get away from it!

Once again, beautiful work and I love those contrasting colors on the top!
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Very nice Jim, the table looks beautiful. That should help the auction out a lot.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Nice Job ! I like the taper on the Legs....All four sides.
    Seth..
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Beautiful wood, Jim, and great job with it. Very generous of you to make it for the auction.

- Vaughn

7. Wow Jim, that is really nice, talk about elegant...

Just make sure no one like me sat on it.....

Super nice, I bet it gets some action at the auction!!

Cheers!

Very nice. The book-matching is beautiful, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Way nice, Jim!!! I'll be betting it will bring a nice sum of ca$h to the auction!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Kimbrell
    Jim,

I had the same unfortunate experience with my first spray lacquer this year on 3 tables that I built. Only maybe worse - the smell is awful and I had no spray rig. Did it with cans of Deft - maybe 20 cans at $5 each...LOL...Not the smartest thing I ever did, but ya' know, I just had to keep going back to the store for more cans. I thought it might take 5 and it took 20!
    You described my process exactly with this table top. I do not have a high end spray system or set up for one so I was at the mercy of the spray cans. Only difference was the brand (Mohawk). I made 5 or 6 trips buying 1 or 2 cans at a time. I kept thinking that I was close to a final finish. I learned the hard way.

Jim

Beautiful table, Jim. I like the way the woods complement each other.

Looks great! I LOVE the top, very unique and beautiful!