Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you tip delivery people?

Do you tip delivery people?

I saw a comment in another thread that mentioned tipping a person who delivered a saw (or not tipping in this case) and it made me wonder--do people tip the freight drivers who deliver large pieces of equipment like saws, jointers, etc. I don't think I have in the past--maybe cause I thought spending over $100 on delivery was already a lot--but maybe I should be. Do they expect to be tipped? What do people do? I know there are some people here who've actually worked as drivers etc--I'm wondering what their experience has been.

Nope, never even considered it. BTW, it aggervates me to see those tip jars at Starbucks, Subway and other places where you stand in line to get your stuff.
    Dennis

Depends if the driver went out of their way to help me. For example if they were only supposed to deliver the thing, and they actually helped me move something into my basement (through a walkout door), then you bet I do. Just a courtesy. I was pouring some concrete one time and the driver helped out, I tipped him $20 or $30. I look at it like this, if you can afford it, and it doesn't put you in a bind, and this person helps you out, then offer. I have had some to decline the offer which is okay too. HTH, Bill

I've never tipped yet, but I would if I thought the driver was going above/beyond what they were required to do. So far everything big I've gotten has come with liftgate service and the driver rolled the item out on a pallet jack. An example of a case where I would have tipped: When my MM16 came, it was on a double pallet so wouldn't fit under the garage door jamb. The driver had to leave it just outside the garage, so no tip. Had he made an offer to wait while I busted enough crating free to slide the upper pallet off (with his help) then pallet jack that into the garage, I think a tip would have been well deserved. I got lucky and caught 2 neighbors arriving home after I got the crating removed and the 3 of us got it waddled inside with about 20 mins to spare before it started raining. It was close.
    Use the fence Luke

Yes, i tip often. The driver that helped unload 1,000 bd ft of lumber got $20. The FedEx guy that helped carry a 21" monitor into the basement got $20. The 2 guys that installed cable internet got $30. It doesn't hurt me so i do it when i can.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Yes, when I figure they have gone 'beyond the call of duty'.

Man, I don't know who you guys have delivering to your house, all they did at mine was drop the lift gate and kick it off the truck.
    Dennis

When I got my table saw delivered it was a rainy day and the delivery trucks wipers stopped working. I hopped up on the hood, cleaned the windshield and then applied "Rain-X" to it. That stuff repeals water so well you just about don't need wipers.

Anyway, that was my "tip".

Cheers,

KP

Yes, I do tip when the driver helps out and I feel they are going above and beyond what might be reasonably expected. Like Anthony said

"if you can afford it and it does not put you in a bind and the person helps out, then offer"

On the other side of the issue, I also called the local Lowes Store Manager and Regional Manager when a driver ignored my signals to stop and backed the truck through the front of the garage a couple of years ago.

Lloyd

PS: Kent can you apply Rainx effectively when it is raining? I will have to try that as when it is raining is the only time I think to put it on.
    Last edited by lloyd morris; 03-01-2006 at 8:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd morris
    Kent can you apply Rainx effectively when it is raining? I will have to try that as when it is raining is the only time I think to put it on.
    Its best to apply it when a windshield is dry (and clean) as you can buff out any smears. Still works if its raining, you just have to apply more to keep up with the drops.

KP

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on two counts: tipping is certainly reasonable if a driver were to do something extra, and Rainex is awesome stuff. I now even pay the ridiculous few bucks extra at Mobil for the gallon of window washing fluid with Rainex already in there.

I have not tipped a delivery driver yet...but the thought has crossed my mind. Heres another side of the coin. In my business I have stuff delivered every day...and most of it requires some assistance from the driver to get it off the truck and into my shop...sometimes taking 30 minutes or longer. Do I tip then? And if not then why not?

I'll tell you though,I would much rather give the driver who helps me shlep a half a ton of paper or board off the truck than throw 3 or 4 bucks to those weasels at the hotels who expect money every time you take a breath...OMG just got back from a stay in a fairly nice hotel in orlando...one which required valet parking and a trip that required me to need my car alot...maybe 8 or more times a day.....and those yahoos do that ALL day long...I went broke just getting my car.

I have done it on occasion when the driver went above and beyond. Example would be the driver who delivered my G1276 sander a few years back. No way to get a semi even near my driveway. He found a place across the road to be able to safety pull off after calling me to explain the situation (more below) and then graciously helped to safely get the heavy box down off the back of the truck and into my loader. That might not seem like a huge thing, but he was running very, very late that day due to traffic and an accident, yet still came all the way out with my one box in the back of a 48' trailer well after dark. (He was supposed to be off shift two hours earlier) He could have gotten away with not making the delivery that day, but wanted me to have my box before he called it a day. He got something for his courtesy.
    ------

On the RainX thing...do understand that this is a product that you need to stay committed to. I works really great....but...it does wear off unevenly and unless you reapply on a regular basis, it can actually be harder to see out of your windshield. I switched to some silicon wiper blades by PIAA a few years ago and would never use RainX again.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello all,

You bet. TIP. to insure prompt service.

I tip the garbageman, (I could lose a body if needed)

I tip any and all building material drivers.

In the same vein, the yard sends me a clown. Never again

will he deliver to one of our jobs. I want my Driver happy and patient.

I hand out cash to the fellas at the Borg. When I walk in, well it is like

flys on proverbial poop and how is your family?

I tip the nice people at MY dunkin donuts. Daily.

Everday my son brings home free donuts.

I do not have to wait in line at my local riteaid for ciggys.

You get the idea. Don't get me wrong, I am not handing out hundreds

like daddy warbucks or making a spectacle,

but a couple a bucks here and there makes the day go so smoothly.

I won't set foot in a Starbucks.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    I tip the garbageman, (I could lose a body if needed)
    You bet! My guys will take anything I put out, but I usually meet them at the curb with a twenty in my hand if I'm home.

If I start gettin' static from the LOML about slowing down on tools like one of our friends here, I may have to put her on the curb too! LOL...***He says on the inside, while saying "Yes Dear" on the outside***

Tip when you can if you can...good works always come back in spades, even if not from the same spot!
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>