Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drawer help -- i'm really frustrated

drawer help -- i'm really frustrated

i could really use some help as i've been fighting this issue all night and i don't think i've made any real progress.

I'm building a kitchen cabinet w/large drawers -- 48". when the drawer is fuly extended, the left side is closer to the face frame than the right. So when it closes, the right side sits proud of frame. See attached pictures.

The drawer box is dead on square as is the case. The drawer guides i'm using as Blum's Blumotion 21" guides.

There are two drawers and both are exhibiting similar behavior.

From my measurements, the slides are running parallel and are the same height.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob,
    It's a bit difficult to tell for sure, but I see something in pic #3 that appears amiss. The right rear corner joint of the drawer appears that the rabbet isn't deep enough on the back. The outside corners of the back and right side don/t appear to line up which would likely put the drawer out of square. Did you take diagonal corner to corner measurments to make sure they match?

edit: oops, sorry. I was looking at the corner of the carcass and not the drawer. I guess I shouldn't offer suggestions after bedtime
    Good luck
    Brad
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 03-02-2006 at 1:18 AM.

first thing I would do is make sure the drawer member is fully engaged on the carcass slide member. If that is not it, I would remove the drawer by separating the slides. Take the right side carcass member and move it back the same amount that the drawer is proud when closed (on right side). Make sure to use the horizontal slots to refasten the slide to the carcass. Put the drawer back in and check fit. Fine tune (which is allowed by using the horizontal slots) and then when everything fits the way you want, then drive screws into the round holes. HTH, Bill

Bob--

I feel your pain-- I have installed 2 or 3 dozen of top brand name (KV or Accuride) pull-out drawers and trays thru-out our house--and perhaps half of them are perfect.

The other half work OK--but there is an anomaly in the final portion of movement. If it's too bad I start over. Then it is usually fixed/better.

Get the Rockler installation jigs--just got them and they help.

Patience.

BILL

Bill:

the drawer is fully engaged and i have tried to move the right hand slide further back into the case (by 1/2") and it had zero affect. when i did that, all that it did was lessen the full extension when i pull it out -- the right slide fully extends before the left side.

You didn't mention this in your post but is it possible that one drawer glide is mounted farther back in the cabinet than the other? Or on the drawer box?

bob, the first thing i`d do is remove the hardware and put the drawer in the hole, push it to one side and check the measurements on the other, then repeat on the other side. also check to see if when tight to the side if the drawer is parallel to the face. you should find the offending drawer/carcase member with this method and be able to determine what`s necessary to fix the problem.. a bowed drawer side or carcase side will give you fits, or it`s possible that "square" really isn`t? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I just used about 2 dozen Blumotions and had no problems. Make sure the hole on the back of the drawer that excepts the guide is fully engaged. The guides should mount about 3mm back of the face. It seems that the drawer or case must be out of square. There are 2 adjustments on the guide...one is for height...I can't remeber what the second is for...make sure those are the same on both sides. It is a little lever on the bottom of the front guide.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper
    The drawer box is dead on square as is the case.
    Either the drawer or the case is out of square. Perhaps a little bit in opposite directions. Likely the sides are parallel, otherwise the drawer would jamb during travel. To confirm, measure the diagonals for both drawer and case. Rarely is a framing square 'square'.

If a single drawer is out, and rebuilding it is just not an option, I'd cut a tapered dado on opposite sides to square the face. The dado may be necessary as shims (washers) under the guides will make the drawer too wide. Does it sound like I've done this...

I agree with George, something isn't square. You might check the drawer box to make sure it doesn't have any twist to it. If the ends of the drawer sides aren't exactly square cut (and I mean EXACTLY on boxes this big), the box will actually have a twist in it after its glued up. This can produce a situation where one part of the drawer appears square while another is off by quite a bit. Carefully examine the drawer box in many different areas to check for squareness and parallel. Best of luck.

What I've learned to do over the years about drawers. I do a lot of them.
    I never staple the rear 1/4" bottom of the drawer to the rear of the drawer until I insert it.
    I insert the drawer box fully, then compare both sides of the front of it to the face frame. You need equal distance there.
    If its off, then just pressure the side of the drawer box in thats protruding farther out, until both sides are equal. Then remove the drawer and staple the bottom.

Hi Bob,

I've been using Blum Tandem with Blumotion for a bit and have discovered that if something is off, it's not the glides. They are heavy duty and precise, but they do have a little "wiggle room". There is a 50/50 chance that whatever is off is going out instead of in - I just mean that there is a chance that some shimming may not make your box too wide for the corrected opening.

Based on your pictures, try a 1/8" shim at the back of the right glide and the front of the left. This is quick, probably will allow your glides to still work. If this solution is on the right track, you will see the results immediately. 1/8" will translate into a significant difference at the front. Be sure to shim the middle of the glides with something about 1/16" to keep the middle of the glide from bowing.

I think that this technique is actually increasing the clearance between the inside edges of the box and the glides. As long as the outside faces of the dbox are clearing, the extra room on the inside should work with the little bit of slop built into the glides. If your case is out so slightly that you can't really measure it, then this might make a difference.

I hope this helps and sorry if it doesn't.

Roland

Did you check to see if the drawer clips were fully engaged? I just finished installing the Blum 3/4 extension sliders for 6 drawers. I got to the last drawer and the drawer was not even from side to side (inset drawers). I readjusted the slider setbacks about 5 times and still not right. I finally pulled the sliders out and was mounting them to the drawer when I noticed the one of the clips was not fully engaging. The hole in the back was not lined up correctly . Also if you have another drawer that can fit in the space try that to see if it is the drawer box vs. the sliders.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. Based on your posts i've got some things i'd like to check out but i do have one clue that i learned since my post. I undid the screws on the mid and back right side which hold the slide to the side of the cabinet and this didn't totally fix the problem but it did make the symptoms much less severe. Also my 'dead on square' statement may not (must not) be right as i used a big T-square...i did not pull corners <-- i'll try that tomorrow.

Dave -- moving the right hand slide back had no real affect.
    Mark -- i know there's one adjustment in the back which can be used to raise/lower the back of the drawer. I didn't really know there was another one.
    Tod/George/Chris -- yes, i'm sure you're right. Somehow this thing has to be out of square. one piece or the other. George, you're right, if i try and shim one side the drawer box would rub against the slide. I'm not exactly sure though how i'd cut a dado/recess in the side of this case.? Suggestions?
    Steve -- that's a great suggestion which i would have never thought of. That will now become standard procedure.
    Roland -- that's exactly what removing the rear screws showed me. Once i removed those screws on the right hand side the back moved over some and the gap closed a good bit. I then put in a small shim back there and rescrewed. It's not fixed but it's better. Tomorrow i'll try and put a small shim on the left front and see if that totally fixed the issue.
    Michael -- i did check this and yes sometimes i do have a little trouble getting those front clips to engage but that's not the issue here. No other drawer this size...it's the biggest one in the kitchen.

i really appreciate all the help. i'll let you know how it turns out. One thing that makes this such a pain is this drawer is *so* big and *so* heavy. It's made out of ash and has a full 3/4" bottom. It must weigh 50 pounds and w/o help it's tough to just pull it.

Glad to hear that you are making progress. These glides are more complicated than any of the others that I have used. If you will be using these glides for more projects, there are some jigs and bits made by Blum that will help make your assembly faster and more accurate.

I noticed that your dboxes may weigh 50lbs. FYI, some of the more readily available Blum Tandems are rated for 75lbs and some for 110 lbs (I think). If this is a dresser, you probably won't have any problems - if it is a file cabinet, watchout!

If you have small children in the house, consider screwing the cabinet to the wall. If a child were to open both drawers at the same time, the cabinet might fall on them.

Good luck and tell us how things work out!

Roland