Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dial Indicators

Question Dial Indicators

I'm looking for some advice from all the machinists out there, or anyone else that knows anything about dial indicators! I've been looking at the TS Aligner Jr setup for my shop. The basic unit comes with a "China" brand indicator. I can get a premium one like Starrett, Mitutoyo, ar B&S for about $70 more. They have several midrange choices that I have never heard of...Fowler, Tecloc, Peacock, and SPI. These are about half the extra charge. Are these any good? Should I spring for the high end model? I have always been a believer in the adage "You get what you pay for", but don't like spending more than I need to. Thanks for your advice.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Fowler and SPI are both reputable brands and produce nice accurate products. The basic cheapo magnetic base and the arm assembly will work fine with all of the brands. The TS Aligner is a good product, but a mag base and some dial indicators and test indicators (there is a difference) will provide far more versatility.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Mark, I have the TS Aligner tool, and I use the Dial Indicator that came with it. (I bought this used on Ebay, in great shape.) I have tested the "cheaper" indicator that came with the Aligner set against 2 other "higher end" indicators, and the one that came with the unit is smooth, and very accurate. I have heard from others that the Chinese Indicator that is standard with the TS Aligner can be problematic, but mine works fine. I would think for the money, you can do better with perhaps another Indicator, rather than spending the extra for a Starret unit. Just an idea for ya, but mine works great for me!

Hi Dave. Can you direct me or recommend some as I know nothing about this kind of stuff! Thanks.

Mark

Kevin,
    Do you mean one of the mid range indicators for the TS Aligner, or a different product all together? Thanks.

Mark

Mark, as Dave mentioned, both the Fowler and SPI are quality indicators. I haven’t heard of the other two.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    Kevin,
    Do you mean one of the mid range indicators for the TS Aligner, or a different product all together? Thanks.

Mark
    There are several threads that you will be able to search on discussing this, maybe try a search on "aligner"? Several people had suggestions on how to make your own. I made one out of scrap and it could not have taken more than 2 or 3 minutes.

I was flipping through the ww'ing magazines at the book store yesterday and one of them had a test of the various makes. They had Hardwick's as the best buy. They said something about the Staretts being made in China now. I didn't read th whole article but being in the market for one it caught my eye for $29.
    http://www.ehardwicks.com/product_li...s/SEN-B-26.htm

Mark,

I've used both SPI and Fowler as well as Starrett, B&S and Mititoyo and they all operate with a great degree of accuracy. A $20 Fowler or SPI would probably cost you $80- $100 at Starrett or Mititoyo.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

The dial indicator that was included with my TS Aligner Jr works perfectly well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    Kevin,

Mark
    Sorry I wasn't clear Mark. What I meant to say was you could buy another mid range indicator, if you weren't comfortable with the unit that comes with the TS Aligner. I know there are other products that will do the job of the TS Aligner, but I really like the versatility of mine. As Jim mentioned, the stock indicator that came with my set works just skippy!

another choice

i was shown this to use for checking out and adjusting the table saw and jointer, didnt catch what you were doing with your tester but this worked great when we were being shown, better than a mag base dial indicator, you do need a test idicator which can also be gotten at this address http://www.grizzly.com/products/h2713
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau
    i was shown this to use for checking out and adjusting the table saw and jointer, didnt catch what you were doing with your tester but this worked great when we were being shown, better than a mag base dial indicator, you do need a test idicator which can also be gotten at this address http://www.grizzly.com/products/h2713
    I’ve been extolling the virtues of the simple Surface Gauge for years ( I grew up calling them a Universal Gauge). These handy tools are great for aligning TS fences, jointer tables and a whole host of other things.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries

My thoughts

You can buy Mitutoyo digital dial indicators for about $500 each and they won't align your saw any better than the $19.95 dial indocator from Harbor Freight. Fowler and the others are a bit less. At best you will need to align your saw maybe 2-3 times over the life of the saw unless you really work your saw hard or transport it a lot. Why invest so much in a tool that will get used only a few times for an alignment that doesn't have to be that close in the first place. I will agree that any dial indicator makes the job easier. Save your money for a nice router bit or good chisel.

We need to remember we are working with wood and that the humidity change from one day to the next can cause changes of .010" or more. Having a saw aligned to less than .001 is admirable but hardly necessary to do good work and only serves as bragging material.

Note This post was not meant as a rant and should not be interpreted that way, merely a statement of fact.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi Mark,

Just an echo of the other TS Aligner Jr owners before me. I have the standard dial indicator and I don't think I could be any happier with a Starrett or Mitutoyo.

Jerry