I am currently attempting to plan the lighting and electrical layout for my basement workshop. I am an electricity novice (read illiterate) and am seeking advise/education on the subject.

What I am trying to gain from your input:
Creat the most flexible, yet simple electrical layout/plan

After I complete the current framing phase, I plan to disconnect and reroute the current electrical layout (ie remove the existing lights and wiring within the basement then reconnect any wires that were shared with the basement fixtures back to their appropriate feeds). I will then place the new outlet boxes and run wires back to where the new sub panel (type and size undecided - not enough information yet) will be installed. I will have an electrician install the sub panel, install fuses, and do the final connections to the runs I have installed. Hopefully he will further educate me along the way, though I do plan on discussing the layout prior to running any wire.

The shop is/will be a one man operation (most of the time). However, I do see the possability of working together with my Father, FIL, BIL, and hopefully one day, my step son.

At the moment I do not own the stationary equipment that will eventually fill my woodshop (plan on basics, TS, BS, CMS, Cyclone, Planer, Joiner, etc). I am still using my "portable" tools I purchased when we lived in a townhouse. I will be replacing these tools as needed/funds available once the renovation is complete. So, not knowing the exact specifications of tools and wanting the most flexible arrangement for the future, what would you do?

What I do know/would like to do:
Install sub panel (lockable off) for safety and flexability
Multiple circuits for lighting - not all on sub panel
Multiple circuits for electrical outlets (120)
Multiple circuits for electrical outlets (240)
Separate circuit for DC (cyclone), Compressor (if needed), etc
Large tools shoud be limited on the same circuit
Single Phase Tools (for the foreseeable future)

Lighting Plan
8 x 8' (4 x 4' T8 Light Bulbs) - plug in
8 x 4' (2 x 4' T8 Light Bulbs) - plug in
Mount one duplex outlet at ceiling height per fixture leaving one socket for secondary or task lighting as needed

Electrical - Initial Thoughts:
Placed approximately 6' apart
Alternating a quad 120 outlet and a duplex 120 w/ 240 outlet
Placed approximately 50" from the floor to the bottom of outlet

Basic Questions:
How many lights can be on a single circuit
Can the same set of lights be controlled by three seporate wall switches, I know you can do two switches
How many outlets (120 or 240) can be on one circuit

Things that really confuse me (definite education needed)
What guage wire is used for 120, 240 for a woodshop
Wire run in conduit or Romex, why
Is there a standard amp for 120
Is there a standard amp for 240
Can I install all 240 lines and run machines at 220, 230
Can something that runs on 20 or 25 amps run off a lie that is 30 amp
If I run all 240, can I just change the fuses to the needed amp

Thank you all once again (electrically inclined especially) for your help and advise. One day I will be on that side of the creek, wading information across to those who need advise.

Eric