Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone make their own plane handles?

Anyone make their own plane handles?

I just received the LV Veritas BUJ and after about an hour of very satisfying planing, the lower part of the heal of my palm is sore. I think the rear handle (tote?) is not the best shape to fit my hand so I'm thinking of reshaping it or making my own.

Any tips, pics, advice?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

2. Hi Brian--a few posts down, Making a Plane Handle or something. From that post:

Take a look at Alice Frampton's web site:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/planetote.html

Should get you all the way there!

Take care, Mike

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Bri,
    A guy I get plane parts from customizes his to fit his hand. A little shaving, rasping, and smoothing.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

4. Tyler,

The problem, if you will, with the Veritas plane handles is the vertical nature of the two threaded rods holding the tote on. You can slightly alter the shape, but not enough without weakening the tote.

But Alice's instructions are clear--and we are woodworkers...

Take care, Mike

Thanks guys!

Just what i was looking for. It doesn't seem to need much tweaking, mostly just beefing up the area that hits the center of my palm to spread the pressure out some.

Of course i could just stop being a wimp and deal with it

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Alternatively, if you don't fancy drilling holes in your plane to get a less upright tote (apparently some folks baulk at that...) you could try this Aussie method.

Cheers, Alf

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Interesting discussion. The LV tote fits my hand the best of all I've tried.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

veritas handles

Brian , here is a picture of my replacement handles.I also made some other changes to make life easier. It is straight forward enough, once you have worked out what shape you like.A tip when drilling the hole for the rear handle-make a template of the handle, and place it on your rectagular stock so that when you drill the drill goes in at 90 degrees, and do it from both ends , then cut out the handle-this way there is no messing with setting angles on your drill press or horizontal borer.Of course you also pay attention to grain direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Philip,

Nice tip. I hadn't thought of just drilling the hole straight and tilting the handle outline after the fact. Eliminates boring an angled hole. Smart. I think about things too hard sometimes and miss the easiest method. Good tip.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by philip marcou
    Brian , here is a picture of my replacement handles.I also made some other changes to make life easier. It is straight forward enough, once you have worked out what shape you like.A tip when drilling the hole for the rear handle-make a template of the handle, and place it on your rectagular stock so that when you drill the drill goes in at 90 degrees, and do it from both ends , then cut out the handle-this way there is no messing with setting angles on your drill press or horizontal borer.Of course you also pay attention to grain direction.

Blog Entries
    Not having any LV planes, my comments are limited to Stanley/Bailey planes.

Often on the larger planes the tote is not comfortable to my hand. Just as often, the tote is modified to fit my hand. Most often the radius at the bottom is opened with a rasp to avoid pinching my pinky finger. Some totes also get a few swipes with a rasp on the back side if it pressed into my palm.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There is a guy on ebay who makes replacement totes. Just search Veritas and he's one of the first hits.

RD

Veritas Totes...I am the guy on Ebay

Thanks for the plug. I am in fact the guy who makes them and posts them on Ebay. Here is a picture of them for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heh Jim,

Thanks for the post. I did a test drive Saturday at the Columbus Woodworking Show and I loved the LV low angle jack. Don't think the tote will be a problem for this guy. Nice to know that there are options if the tote becomes an issue after putting the plan through the paces.

Take care,
    Jim

I just received one of Mike Wischmann's tote's via his ebay postings and I was pretty impressed with the quality of the tote. Definately worth the $20 I paid for it.

I will say that I did have to do a bit of reshaping to shorten it's heel to better fit my BUS body, and the very toe as well to make sure I had some clearance between the wood and the adjuster but I was going to be doing some reshaping to fit my hand anyway (ie easing edges a bit).

All in all, was nothing a few minutes with a sharp rasp couldnt handle. I'd post some pics but its currently out in the shop letting linseed oil dry, and will be getting a few coats of clear lacquer once that's dry to match the knob.

Very happy with the purchase, and the exteremely quick shipping he used as well if anyone else is thinking about picking one up.

JD

Or you can go to your local sporting goods shop and pick up some nice tennis racket grip tape.Wrap it around thicker where you want it thicker, and thinner where you want it thinner. Now THAT is a comfy tote. I just did this to all of my turning tools and it's very nice!