Paul Douglass originally posed this question in another thread and I thought it was deserving of its own.

I am not one of the fortunate ones who have access to good quality turning stock in the raw, i.e., green wood. Around here I have several different kinds of pines, poplar, oak and some scrubby maples, Bradford pear etc. Nothing exciting.

I am very interested in turning exotics for a variety of reasons. I have a personal goal of turning as many as I can. I also think that the exotics are some of the most beautiful woods in the world. But the argument can be made that it is not the wood that makes the turning it is the form that ultimately will judge the quality of the piece as most woods over time will oxidize to tans, browns, or even blacks.

So, to start the ball rolling, I buy a lot of my woods from a variety of on-line sources as well as a couple of hardwood suppliers that are within driving distances.

I am also fortunate to have a friend who in his travels seeks out hardwood sales and brings back suitcase loads for me. In return I keep him in pens and other turned gifts for his business clients.

I am hesitant to buy wood sight unseen but there are a few on-line sellers that show pictures of individual pieces of wood, both front and back so you can see what you are buying. Companies that do this charge a premium for this one of a kind wood and service. Gilmer's is one such company and their ever changing selection is a good reason to while away some time in front of a computer.

Buying wood this way is expensive and difficult to justify if you don't have a way to recoup your expenses. I used to be reluctant to buy expensive wood for fear of messing it up. My skills have improved somewhat where I don't get quite as antsy putting an expensive piece on the lathe.

Most turners cut their own and this is by far the most cost effective way of obtaining turning stock unless it is just given to you. I do like that method.

I am sure others will chime in with lots of other sources and ideas.