Thread: Air Compressor Anti-Vibration Mounting

Air Compressor Anti-Vibration Mounting

I'm finally getting around to set up my new IR 5hp T30 air compressor and fired it up today to check it out. Needless to say, it is impressive but noisy which I expected. I did not realize that this hummer also vibrates quite a bit and you can feel it through my concrete garage floor. My thinking is that I should isolate this monster with some shock mounts before it jack hammers itself through the floor. Any one have any good ideas along with potential sources for their solutions? I've thought about hockey pucks but the rubber is too hard to be effective. Right now I've got it mounted to some 2x6's, but that is not good enough. I'm excited about doing some sandblasting outside and after that, I can see a Millermatic MIG welder in my future.

Also, thanks to the board for suggesting an automatic drain valve. I scored on one from E-Bay and have it installed.

I have seen anti-vibration pads for sale on the big auction site. You might do a search there. If you can't find them PM me I think I can furnish you a link.

Jerry

I installed a 80 gallon 2-stage compressor in my basement, I used http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611629512&cc item== pads under the 3 feet. I just drilled a 1/2' hole in the center for the anchors to go through. I can try to get a pic if it will help..

Kenny

Hi Mike,
    I have the same compressor - actually 2 of them. One is sitting on a couple of 2X6's and the second in a different location is anchored down solid on a concrete pad. I think solid anchors is the best way.
    Regards,
    Art

I used a air compressor mounting pad which I got from Tip Tools (www.tptools.com). This is nothing more than a piece of 3/8" flat belting material with a hole in the middle for an anchor bolt to go thru. You just anchor the air compressor to the floor with a piece this under each leg. Don't tighten the bolts more than a good hand tight as all they do is to hold the air compressor in place by preventing "walking".
    Leo

When I originally bolted mine down, I used a rubber mat to cushion things. When I moved it to it's present location, I just put it on 2x material. I can't tell the difference and behind the door of the DC/Compressor closet. That said, the rubber mounts that are easily available or easily constructed to isolate the unit from the floor are not a horrible idea.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi neighbor..err Mike

Tractor Supply sells door mats that are made out of there horse stall mats I know of a couple of people that have set their compressors on them and are happy with it.

I have mine setting on a rubber type mat from Menards that is sold in the carpet department and sold as an anti-fatigue type thing, but I can't tell you how it works (or if it does for that matter) until the electrician comes this week to finish wiring the new building
    BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!

FWIW, I just bought a couple of those 3" square rubber pieces you use for setting under furniture (CRS in full swing here) to put under my 5hp 80gal upright compressor. Five years later they are still working and the compressor stays put.

Bob