Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jessicas dining table

Alan.
    I turned the base over on the top and scribed each leg with the table top fixed in the final position. I jig sawed out to a scribe line.....to about 1/16" under the scribe line. Then I made a template which is basically an 'L" and held it 1/16" over the scribe line...all the legs were checked with against the template. The pattern router bit is a 1 1/4" x 2" tall Amana with a bearing and it just followed the template...chewing about 1/32 nd at a time....slow speed. I use that bit for chair legs and it will grab if you rush it. The Festool 1400 was very smooth. Then the inside radius is chisel square starting with the top face. Then I layed the top on the base and tapped it until the fit was even. The 1/16" gap is critical as the top movement will otherwise stress the frame with expansion...The 1/8" roundover softens the appearance and makes any minor variation disappear
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi Mark,

It must have bored you a little to build a replica of a Crate & Barrel design, but your execution is impressive. I appreciate the small details-- like taking the time to make symmetrical laminations for the legs. I'm sure your daughter will smile every time she sits down at the table!

Dan

Mark,

In the world of bizzaro coincidences I have to say I was pleasantly surprized by your post. I am in in the early throws of re-doing my home office and had chosen the "Big Sur" table as my office desk!!! I have seen the Crate and Barrel desk at Vintner's Collective wine bar here in Napa and thought its size and look would be appropriate for the changes I plan.

When we moved into the Napa house we discovered the prior owner was a tug boat captain and his wife had fauxed the walls to resemble water! Well... it was novel for a bit as I am a Marine Consultant but the vast amount of blue has finally taken its toll on me. So I plan on a new paint job and new desk.

The Crate and Barrel table has some pretty deep saw cuts in the underside planks to minimize combined movement and even has some metal flat bar on the underside to "stiffen it". I really don't think white oak needs stiffening, just sharp tools to cut it.

Beautiful "copy".

I'll now be very hesitant to show mine off if I decide to make rather than build.

Curious if you sent the top through a wide sander? Lots of work planing and sanding by hand.

As always, thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

Kent

Very nice work, Mark...I'm sure that Jessica will get a lot of great use from that sturdy table!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker
    Mark,

In the world of bizzaro coincidences I have to say I was pleasantly surprized by your post. I am in in the early throws of re-doing my home office and had chosen the "Big Sur" table as my office desk!!! I have seen the Crate and Barrel desk at Vintner's Collective wine bar here in Napa and thought its size and look would be appropriate for the changes I plan.

When we moved into the Napa house we discovered the prior owner was a tug boat captain and his wife had fauxed the walls to resemble water! Well... it was novel for a bit as I am a Marine Consultant but the vast amount of blue has finally taken its toll on me. So I plan on a new paint job and new desk.

The Crate and Barrel table has some pretty deep saw cuts in the underside planks to minimize combined movement and even has some metal flat bar on the underside to "stiffen it". I really don't think white oak needs stiffening, just sharp tools to cut it.

Beautiful "copy".

I'll now be very hesitant to show mine off if I decide to make rather than build.

Curious if you sent the top through a wide sander? Lots of work planing and sanding by hand.

As always, thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

Kent
    Kent,
    Crate and Barrel has nice designs and the quality is quite good. You are correct , they use a steel corner brace and straps to allow for movement. I just made conventional M & T joints, with loose tenons. Mortises cut witha router and a quick jig I made.
    The top was glued up from 1 3/4" boards joined with no dowels or bisquits...just a good fit and PVA glue. Then scraped with first a Red Devil paint scraper (now I am giving all my tricks) Then a Stanley 80 cabinet scraper...hand planed with a small woody plane and sanded with a ROS starting with 50 grit down to 150. If you go to fine it burnishes the wood and will not allow many finishes to absorb.

It is a pretty easy project and if you take your time during the critical phases you will be fine.
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-06-2006 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Very nice Mark. Are you making the chairs? I like that one shown in the picture.

Karl
    Karl ,
    Not this time on the chairs...I do have some chairs and a ood frame sofa coming up as promissed....I ill try to document the construction all the way through. Jessica wanted the aluminum naval chairs and just ordered 8 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pfau
    Nice table Mark, If you have not finished it yet, maybe think about putting some dutchmen in the top!
    You mean "dutchman" to plug the knots? not a popular idea waith Jess

Hah!!! So Jessica knows where the shop is, too??? Hey, nice project, Mark. I agree with Norman on the relief where the top meets the legs...Nice touch! I'd love to see it up close and personal and I'm certain Jessica will cherish that piece for many years to come!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!