Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you prefer the "left of the blade" position for a table saw miter gauge

It's not rocket science,

if the rip fence is used as a stop for crosscutting the mitre gauge needs to be on the left side.

Frank, that is why the big side of the table is on your right, so you can set the stop for longer lengths.

Just teasing......

I'm left handed and using the left mitre slot just seemed natural.
    Last edited by nic obie; 03-06-2006 at 8:21 PM.

Frank, after reading your comment in the previous post, I became a little concerned because I'm planning on buying the JessEm. I've never used a miter gauge on the left, and I'm not sure I want to start now. I really don't like the idea of 4ft of a 6in. wide board hanging unsupported over the end of the table. I may change my mind and buy the Osborne. I'm going to email JessEm to see if I can get more info. Thanks for bringing it up.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Up until now, the only miter gauges that I have used have been those that came with the various table saws I have used over the years and I have (mostly) used those to the right of the blade. So "to the left" feels strange, but I think that I will try my new JessEm (mostly) to the left for a while and see if I can get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie
    It's not rocket science,

if the rip fence is used as a stop for crosscutting the mitre gauge needs to be on the left side.

Frank, that is why the big side of the table is on your right, so you can set the stop for longer lengths.
    But, all the after-market miter guages that I know of come with built in stops which implies to me that they do not intend the fence to (normally) be used as a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Norton
    Frank, after reading your comment in the previous post, I became a little concerned because I'm planning on buying the JessEm. I've never used a miter gauge on the left, and I'm not sure I want to start now. I really don't like the idea of 4ft of a 6in. wide board hanging unsupported over the end of the table. I may change my mind and buy the Osborne. I'm going to email JessEm to see if I can get more info. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Larry, I did figure out how to use the Jessem to the right. I ended up with a scale reading upside down and a stop that is a little akward, but it was possible.

I do have a good adjustable set of (General International) rollers that can be easily postioned with any of my machines so it will be simple for me to get the necessary support when I use the miter gauge to the left of the blade. But, its not as simple as using the table.

Larry, please let me know what Jessem tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    But, all the after-market miter guages that I know of come with built in stops which implies to me that they do not intend the fence to (normally) be used as a stop.
    Frank,

Don't you have a chop saw for the little stuff?

I only crosscut panels with my table saw. I used to use a sled now I use a format style saw. Why don't you use your Festool stuff for crosscutting? I would thing it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie
    Frank,

Don't you have a chop saw for the little stuff?

I only crosscut panels with my table saw. I use my table saw for the little stuff. I used to use a sled now I use a format style saw. Why don't you use your Festool stuff for crosscutting? I would thing it should work.
    Nic, no I don't have a chop saw. I have been using my Festool Multifunction Table for crosscutting larger pieces (any board over two feet in length). My thought is that, with the larger miter gauge, I can up that to much longer boards.

But, this is an experiment and I may find that I revert to the Festool. It's an experiment because my brother-in-law has agreed to by the JessEm miter guage from me at the price I paid for it if, after a month, I decide I don't "need" it.

Since I got my new TS, I've been using the gauge on the right, because the Jessem sliding table replaced the left wing of my General 650.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    Since I got my new TS, I've been using the gauge on the right, because the Jessem sliding table replaced the left wing of my General 650.
    If you have the JessEm sliding table, why do you even need a miter gauge?

Although I am Right handed, I'm also like my Dad was, in that anything done one handed was/is Right handed, but "Almost" everything done with both hands would be considered Left handed, (except shooting a rifle/shotgun is considered right handed when the left hand is on the forestock and the right hand on the trigger).

Although I have used both right and left tilt saws, Mostly I have used left tilt saws, (all that I have ever owned have been left tilt), and I started out using the fences And Mitre Guages on the Right, and Standing on the Right side. I have on occasion done it the other way, but it just never felt "Natural" to me.

As Usual, I seem to be 180* out of phase with most everyone else.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow

So I asked why most people prefer to "left of the blade" position, but I received no answers. I expect that this is because the question is buried within a thread with a title that gives no clue to the fact that there was such a question within.
    I prefer the left. I also read, and agree that it 'feels right'. I suspect it may have more to do with your dominate eye. To test that theory, read this explanation in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominant_eye

If that is the case, dominate right eyed workers would prefer left side mitre and right side fence. I suspect it has more to do with stooping to check the alignment of the blade and the cut line?

Personally, I like to position my miter gauge on whichever side of the blade works best/safest for the job at hand, and if neither criteria is a factor, then I use it on whichever side of the blade its currently set up for.

By the way, should the toilet paper come off the roll on the side nearest the toilet or the wall??

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft
    Personally, I like to position my miter gauge on whichever side of the blade works best/safest for the job at hand, and if neither criteria is a factor, then I use it on whichever side of the blade its currently set up for.

By the way, should the toilet paper come off the roll on the side nearest the toilet or the wall??
    Lol. Wife puts it towards the wall. I put it nearest the head. Easier for me to find. We fuss about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft

The problem with doing this with the JessEm miter gauge is that the scale, the stop, and the extension all have to be set up to favour one side or the other. Yes, once set up, it can still be used on the other side but (assuming that you don't want to take a lot of time), you would lose the use of all these features when temporaily using the miter gauge on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    To the left. Thats tha way I was taught, and everyone else does it that way that I've seen.
    Ditto! It also is comfortable for me. I am out of the way too.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo