In the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32395, I asked why most manufacturers (such as JessEm and Incra) of after-market long miter gauges for table saws assume that people will be using them on the left side of the blade.

Jim Becker responded with: "BTW, the reason that the miter gages are setup for the left of the blade is that is where most people use them. There have even been some models that really wouldn't work on the right side very well, such as the Incra 2000.".

So I asked why most people prefer to "left of the blade" position, but I received no answers. I expect that this is because the question is buried within a thread with a title that gives no clue to the fact that there was such a question within.

Last Friday, I bought a JessEm Mite-R-Excel and assumed that I would want it on the right side of the blade since that's where I have a lot more table (because of my large saw table extension).

Please let me know your reasons (other than the manufacturers pre-disposition) for using the miter gauge to the left of the blade.

By the way, I would like to be convinced that I should be primarily be using my newly acquired miter gauge to the left of the fence.