Thread: Price on Jet JML 1014

Jeff Watson Guest

Price on Jet JML 1014

I am thinking about getting into the wood turning. Baby steps at first. Very budget minded. I can get the Jet JML 1014 14" mini lathe for $175 after rebates at amazon. This seems to me like a good price. Is it a good price? Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Jeff Watson; 03-06-2006 at 8:05 PM.

Seems like the jet mini is a good deal at full price. Good luck with it!
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

That is about what I paid for mine including shipping. Just be aware that the "accessories" are going to cost as much or more. But take your time in acquiring those things. Get a set of HSS chisels from Harbor Freight and turn, turn, turn to develop your skills. Green branches, etc are good to practice on at first.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Jeff..........I got bombed with a Jet mini VS. I think it is a great little lathe to learn on! Turning is addictive! As Don stated and others have stated......the lathe is the cheapest part of the journey.......tools........grinder.........grindin g jigs.........materials.........finishing..videos.. ...magazines.......turning club......it's a whole new world and SO ADDICTIVE! Enjoy the journey! And maybe, you'll be like Bernie or Glenn Cabo, Travis, Jim Ketron, Andy, John Hart, Dennis Peacock, John M., Carole, Bill S., and others who have a natural talent or are able to develop the skills for this addictive hobby! It is an addiction!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-09-2006 at 5:10 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is a terrific price for the mini!!! If I didn't already have one, I surely would buy one for that price. On the other hand, if you were paying retail, the new Rikon appears to be a very strong competitor!!! The new lower price for the mini may reflect the competition from the Rikon??

Jeff, If you can do the little extra.. you can buy the Jet Mini Variable Speed for $254 from Amazon (after the $25 Jet rebate).. that is much better lathe.. I have a Jet Mini and a Jet 1236 and love them both...
    BTW, I believe that offer ends 9March06, so better hurry if you are going to do it..
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mullane
    Jeff, If you can do the little extra.. you can buy the Jet Mini Variable Speed for $254 from Amazon (after the $25 Jet rebate).. that is much better lathe.. I have a Jet Mini and a Jet 1236 and love them both...
    BTW, I believe that offer ends 9March06, so better hurry if you are going to do it..
    If I read it right last night, you can apply for their credit card and get an additional $30 off. That puts it down to the $224 range. When done, distroy the credit card!

Don't forget, if you order it today you can also take 10% off. The offer ends today tho...

Jet JML-1014VS lathe - $279.99
    Amazon 10% savings - 27.99
    Amazon CC savings - 30.00
    Jet $25 rebate - 25.00
    Total for a new lathe $197.00

Hurry up and order!

Marc

Jeff Watson Guest

jet

Thanks for everyones reply. Do some of you work of Amazon? Just kidding. I waffled the other night and the price went back up the next morning. How dumb of me. I am on a tight budget so I was hoping to keep the lathe around $200 and add on's to around $200 so I guess I will wait and see if it goes on sale again in the next month. I have already blowin the 10% discount on a Freud 3 piece rail and stile set for under $100. So that is gone. I have heard conflicting opinions on the variable speed verses the cheaper old fashion belt driven. I have heard that the variable is nice, but you can get by with out it. For those who have the variable, is the overall quality better or is it just nice to be able to turn a knob and slow it down or speed it up? Again, thanks for everyones replies.

Jeff, if you did not live so far away from MD, I could sell you the 1014 I have in the shop... still in the box with only about 2 hours turning on it... I loaned it to my club while waiting for out 1642 to arrive... it was still in the sealed box...
    I really don't need another lathe...
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Jeff Watson Guest

Smile pulled the trigger

Tom, thanks, If I lived closer I would considered that, but shipping is a killer. I don't know how amazon is making any money right now. Makes me wonder why they are doing all of these sales. Right now they have $75 off of $300. I put the 1014VS in my cart for $279, I read a bunch of good comments on the stand so I added the stand for $120 with free shipping. Throw in the $75 dollars off and my total is $325. Subtract the $25 rebate from Jet and it is down to $300 for Jet 1014VS plus metal stand. Now I just need to get some turning tools. I have a month to research and purchase those because my lathe will not ship until April 14. Thanks for everyones comments on this thread, they helped me make up my mind, and thanks to Amazon. If it wasn't for the low price I probably would not be getting into this so quick.

Jeff,

On the turning tools, just for your starter set buy one of the low dollar sets offered by Griz, PSI or CSUSA. There are plenty of sets that can be had for under $100 that include a bowl gouge, skew, spindle gouge and parting tool. You are about to spend some more morney... lots more...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Jeff,

On the turning tools, just for your starter set buy one of the low dollar sets offered by Griz, PSI or CSUSA. There are plenty of sets that can be had for under $100 that include a bowl gouge, skew, spindle gouge and parting tool. You are about to spend some more morney... lots more...
    I think last time I was at Woodcraft they had their Pinnacle start set on sale for $99. Lots of choices!

Dave Fried
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.